Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Commodore Racers

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Actually... they did care
and walked away from the sport.

Introducing the V8s in '95 was smart and the crowds grew but once they started
sticking sedan panels on a space frame and introducing all this parity bullshit
the TV and track audiences has got smaller .. and then they went overseas and
the audience got smaller .....

meanwhile TCM and Classics and GT series have grown immensely in popularity

.. wonder why

I think audiences are just as strong as they've always been (unless you can show evidence to the contrary) plenty of people do love to whine and wax lyrical about the days of Group A production cars with their questionable rules that allowed companies like Ford to produce the Sierra and Nissan to bring a twin turbo that realistically belonged in another category to the track not to mention those monster Monaro's that most definitely would have ended up in Group A, however there are plenty of production car categories that get almost zero support from said people who like to moan about the death of Group A - just sayin'.... V8SC is how it is - it's a category race with parity cars, it's a professional sport that's pretty much it. If you don't like it do go and support production car categories, they definitely need peoples support that's for damn sure.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I think audiences are just as strong as they've always been (unless you can show evidence to the contrary)

Exhiit A = me.

I used to love watching the sport but now ? Not so much. I will watch Bathurst, coz Bathurst but that is about it.

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
I used to watch it also, then it just became harder to tell which car was which due to all the advertising and shape changes.

I can tell a Holden from a Ford on the street a mile away, on the track I have to look at the badge sometimes. Haven't watched any since Volvo, Nissan etc etc joined in.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The best thing about V8 supertaxi's is the Kiwi lad who's giving it to your best and doing it with style/passion which the class lacked for many years before his arrival.....

I stopped watching em years ago, I'm NOT paying to watch that period.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I agree with a lot of the points made above, but from my perspective ( which goes back to Norm Beechey’s era ), my interest has dwindled during the last 10 ? years due to the lack of ‘racing’ as I remember it ................. The quickest car with the fastest driver won.
Brake replacement and fuel stops were ‘as necessary’, not mandated. A lead built up by a fast driver was not lost as a result of a Safety Car. With all the computers and in-car communication today, it can’t be all that hard to freeze positions and intervals, and factor that in on resumption of play.
When I lived in Melbourne and Sydney, I used to get to every meeting possible for the ATCC or Toby Lee, or even club meets, but now, distance precludes that. I would love to see every TCM live or TV, but that is not possible.
Yep, us old blokes may lament what used to be, but SCA now, just don’t light my fire.
( But, I will most probably go to see them next year in Newcastle, IF the powers that be can get all their s**t in one pile.)

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
I have no interest in V8 Supercars at all, much prefer to watch TCM and Historic race meetings.