Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New drag build

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
High 12's! Get a V6 for $500 and build a cheap turbo setup then.

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
Yeah just get witch ever one of them models that comes up for the right price and condition, if I was doin it I would be looking for something that all ready has a cam, diff gears extractors, basic things like that, and I would be inclined to go manual and live axel, but that's just me

The carbie way seams to always get slightly better top end power and plus u get a good manifold much cheaper that way and if u do that u can run on methanol because petrol sucks ass and the only reason I use petrol is because if I use methanol I'll burn family's eyes at the lights and then I'll be arrested lol

Run a 5L in light car with basic mods on something good like methanol and u will be surprised how fast u will be able to get it to go

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Yeah just get witch ever one of them models that comes up for the right price and condition, if I was doin it I would be looking for something that all ready has a cam, diff gears extractors, basic things like that, and I would be inclined to go manual and live axel, but that's just me

The carbie way seams to always get slightly better top end power and plus u get a good manifold much cheaper that way and if u do that u can run on methanol because petrol sucks ass and the only reason I use petrol is because if I use methanol I'll burn family's eyes at the lights and then I'll be arrested lol

Run a 5L in light car with basic mods on something good like methanol and u will be surprised how fast u will be able to get it to go

Really? They want a drag car you suggest manual.
Also methanol :s On a bolt on 5lt.........right
If all you want is a 12/13 get a VN 5lt slap a cam in it, 100 shot of nitrous, some diff gears and a spool and pull some weight out.

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
If it's goin to be a 13 second fearly basic vn-vs yes I would suggest manual, what's wrong with that ???

Ooo u have to drive the car and not just put ur foot down in a dumb witted slow gear changing auto that will no doubt be flogged out

Go a low 11 second car with a stage 2 or 3 shift kitted auto and I'll change my mind !!!!

I'm not saying I'm right I'm just putting suggestions out there

And petrol sucks ass, comin in at a piss weak 98 octane why wouldn't u want to use/TRY methanol or to be more realistic a 50/50 mix of petrol methanol, if they put a carbie on it

If they are goin to use nos, using a mix of methanol would have much the same affect, cold intake temp and just raising the octain to about 108

It's drag car the guys want to learn and experiment with not a take the kids to school in car

wez84

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv/vr calais V6 turbo oneday N/A Track car
The only way you will get any benefits with methanol in drag racing is with high compression

That and methanol engines take a bit of work if you want to look after it

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
If it was a circuit car by all means go a manual, in a drag car it's a poor choice.
As for a flogged out auto, don't think a cheap 20+ year old commodore in manual is going to be like driving a new tremec.
Lmao @ petrol sucks ass, guess all the blokes running 8's and 9's on it have it wrong. Yes because you need methanol in a bolt on 5lt with 8.4:1 comp.
It's a budget build, alcohol will require a bigger fuel system adding cost. Alcohol has a stoic point of around 6:1 from memory so it's a whole other ball game tuning for it, not something for some amateurs.
You can get E85 from majority of servo's now days, think you need to put the 1986 copies of Street Machine back.

Kid can go which ever way he wants, I just think your over complicating things for the intended goal.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Saw a decent Eco GT42 (allegedly genuine) setup on eBay for $3k and digging up a reasonable VS won't cost much. Say $5k with all your own labour and you'd easily pull 12's. Best bit is when something explodes, it's a dime a dozen and a few hours work.

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
I'm not saying he has to run on it, I'm saying they could try it if they put a carbie on it, or E85 or nitro, dam I would try some rocket fuel if I got the chance lol

and Yeah I suppose trying some different fuel is so much harder then oooo let's say installing a turbo and then getting it tuned on a budget because I'm sure that will work on a stock fuel system won't it then add some nos now what are u thinking of that bottom end

Im sticking with my earlier post about a car with basic mods and if they start changing things to put a carbie on it to save on the tuning then there is a option to try different fuels if they wanted to, they probley wont but this is a forum where people can dream and put any idea out there and not every thing has to be so serious

And for a 13-12 second car I still don't see the problem with manual yes the book says auto but your book isn't always right, when my car was stock and I ever dragged something very similar in auto I always got a jump on them on every gear change that's why I'm sticking with it till it's into the low low 12 second 11 second cars

because of my experiences not what a book says

wez84

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv/vr calais V6 turbo oneday N/A Track car
Playing with different fuels will be a lot harder then bolting a turbo and tuning it.
Changing fuels is not as easy as draining the old fuel out and put different fuel in, Carby, fuel system and tune will changed to suit each fuel. As well as all the research for each set up you will need.

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
Changing fuels is not as easy as draining the old fuel out and put different fuel in, Carby, fuel system and tune will changed to suit each fuel. As well as all the research for each set up you will need.

Yes this is true I'm not saying to change and try them all and spend weeks figgering out how to change from a mix of petrol/meth to E85

All I'm saying from the start is that if they put a carbie on it they could pick something like E85 or a mix and stick with that not swap and change all the time, I know it's not at full efficiency as meth likes a 13 to1 comp ratio but the option is there and will add a little bit to it

and these guys are installing there own cam and nos so they do know a thing or 2 and should be able to learn to tune a carbie

I think turbo e85 is all dreaming maybe we should tell them exactly what they said in first post lol car cam it, diff gears weight loss live axel put there nos on and race lol