Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Front/Rear speakers - VE 2007 SS

dingdong555

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive
Hey guys.

Got an 07' SS with the stock head unit (no large colour screen) and am looking at getting new front and rear speakers, something with a bit of punch as I won't be getting a subwoofer, however, I would like them to be "Crisp clear" (I'm not audiophile, however, the stock speakers are ****!), any recommendations? Looking at spending around $500, links from US shops are fine if they ship to AUS.

Also, will they run off the stock head unit? Or am I able to install a head unit below the stock headunit and run the speakers of that? (Anyone looking for a cash job?)

[QW-11-KE]

Reaction score
Members Ride
E CLUBSPORT R8
hey man i am after the same thing as u so im gonna keep watching this post for any tips..... good post

--Ben--

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve SV6 ute
speakers all comes down to your own taste, stock head unit not got enough power to run decent speakers, have a look around on the forum, in the short time i've been a member there have already been a couple of threads on this topic.

dingdong555

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive
speakers all comes down to your own taste, stock head unit not got enough power to run decent speakers, have a look around on the forum, in the short time i've been a member there have already been a couple of threads on this topic.

I have been but everyone has different needs :)

So I would need a better head unit, does anyone have any guides how simple it is to install one underneath the Holden head unit? Steering wheel controls probably will be useless then right?

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
steering controls wont work, but installing a completely seperate head unit would be no more complicated than in any other car.

another option would be to continue to use the stock head unit, and get an amp with a line out converter (high level from audio outs on stock unit), and that way you get more power but still get to keep functionality of stock head unit. but like already suggested do a search... this has been discussed in great detail (there's even awesome pics in one thread). tips on removing fascia of center console, pics of speakers being replaced, the lot. search is your friend ;).

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Depends what you want.

Heaps of people have replaced the stock speakers only, without touching anything else and the improvement is reportedly huge!

If you want something that really pumps, you'll need an amp...

-vkhg

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SS
I'm looking to upgrade the sound system in my 07 ve too. so far the front dash speaker has blown and I'm assuming the rest will follow soon enough.. let us know which path you take and the results!

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
the front dash speaker is a waste. if it has actually blown as you say it has, its actually done you a favour... as they are a waste of space on the dash. most people who start playing around with the audio in the VE disconnect the center speaker and achieve far better results. replacing it with an 'upgraded' unit does little (as evidenced in a number of posts in this forum- audio section and otherwise).

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
yep - rip that nasty front speaker out - best bang for buck audio upgrade in the world! That thing is awful!

I imagine a simple speaker swap would make a world of difference for people who really don't care to much, but want something better than a 35c speaker sitting in their door. Let's face it - a piece of string and a tin can would be better!

-vkhg

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SS
will rip it out then! im keen to amp all speakers but not keen on pulling down my dash to get to the back of the head unit itself. although i haven't looked into it at all. big job? keeping in mind ive only ever pulled vn's and the like apart..! ha