Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New GM media VE pics released today **dialup warning**

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
They are great pics aren't they.

Well they used to have a huge historical archive of all models produced and concepts, technical drawings etc. It seems they have axed the most part of it leaving only 1 example of each model which is a shame, Lucky I have them all on my HD LOL. It really is a great resource for all of us, but you guys don't have access to it.

If I can make some space or the mods increase my limit I will take requests for various models and stuff and post them in the relevant sections.

To send them all would be difficult as they are quite large pics.

I'll keep ya posted.

commod8

swim wit da fishes
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive V6 Auto
yeah thanx for that mate, nice as pictures :)

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
i was looking at the ssv with the black stripes and the 20 inch wheels, 3rd pic top row then went to the berlina (next pic along) and the first thing that came to mind was memories of my old lancer when i first got it. and it 13 inch wheels, they look so small

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
The stripes need to come down further on the bonnet or even all the way to the groud right? does anyone else think that would look better? also the ssv in the lane that looks like it should be without wheels with bricks under it:p well it has plates ssv-02 I followed ssv-03 in the highway a couple of weeks ago, It's blue :)

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
You can really see how the VZ Commodore and Monaro were made to look like the VE with the flutes in the guards, the front bar on the monaro (now SS) and the executive, saw a documentry and it said the design was locked into place around 1999!

Last edited:

Scotty_Doesn't_Know

Don't Tell Scotty...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE Calais
darkcold said:
saw a documentry and it said the design was locked into place around 1999!

I saw a documentary too. Was about human evolution - guess you missed it huh?

The design for the VE wasn't finalised until 2003 and even then changes were still being made. Holden didn't even know what platform they were going to use until 2000. They were shopping for an overseas one (most interest was in the Sigma) but couldn't change it to get the VE they wanted so decided to start from scratch - hence the start of the Zeta platform in 2000.

No way would a design for 2006, that started in 1997 be signed off in 1999.

What was the name of this so called documentary? Why do people just make stuff up?

Regarding making the VZs look like what the VE was going to look like - it's just common sense. The VT-VZ platform started out as a rounded style car and finished with sharp lines and agressive trim (such as the side indicators and body kits). The reason is to make the transition from VT-VZ to VE without it looking like something completely different. Park a VT and a VZ next to each other and there are some very stark contrasts. Park a VZ (essentially the same car as the VT but with different styling) next to a VE and there are many similarities. It basically means you get carry over on the brand. You're not completely re-inventing the wheel, just improving it.

Make sense?

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
its funny how the SS badges on the VE are very similar to the VT ones minus the word Commodore that followed.....
17 days til the hsv versions are unveiled...i just cant wait! :rofl:

BTW had a look at Bridgestones chart of rim and tyre combos for new VE and HSV version :whistling
They're heading done the corvette path. phatter at the back than the front.
i think the high end hsv are coming with 275 wide 20" rubber...insane

Last edited:

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
Scotty_Doesn't_Know said:
I saw a documentary too. Was about human evolution - guess you missed it huh?

The design for the VE wasn't finalised until 2003 and even then changes were still being made. Holden didn't even know what platform they were going to use until 2000. They were shopping for an overseas one (most interest was in the Sigma) but couldn't change it to get the VE they wanted so decided to start from scratch - hence the start of the Zeta platform in 2000.

No way would a design for 2006, that started in 1997 be signed off in 1999.

What was the name of this so called documentary? Why do people just make stuff up?

Regarding making the VZs look like what the VE was going to look like - it's just common sense. The VT-VZ platform started out as a rounded style car and finished with sharp lines and agressive trim (such as the side indicators and body kits). The reason is to make the transition from VT-VZ to VE without it looking like something completely different. Park a VT and a VZ next to each other and there are some very stark contrasts. Park a VZ (essentially the same car as the VT but with different styling) next to a VE and there are many similarities. It basically means you get carry over on the brand. You're not completely re-inventing the wheel, just improving it.

Make sense?

http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/jsp/campaigns/vecommodore/newcommodoreframe.jsp
I think they mention it there

Also here:
http://blogs.drive.com.au/2006/07/webchat_with_holden_design_bos_1.html

The themes were really "baked" in late 1999 with a sketch created by Peter Hughes and Michael Simcoe and really locked it down in late 2001. Most of the vehicles you are comparing didn't exist in that timeframe. Any comparisons to the premium Euro products - I'd take as a compliment.

And see attachments.. I'm not saying it's a whole new car (well the only carryover is the mirrors and some drivetrain) but it's good that they had similarities from VZ to VE, especially since the VZ wagon and ute will be on sale until at least late 2007.

- Juzza

Last edited:

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
I have also read this somewhere, that the design and clay models, sketches etc were drawn when the VT was released.

Why would we wanna get on a public forum and "make stuff up"???

Whats up ur a$$ anyway Scotty??

You said in the other thread that they don't test drive cars after they are built LOL You must work in the automotive industry.

:edit: Here is a pic of "Mule zero" fitted with VE suspension, fuel tank moved and the new exhaust system

Last edited:

Scotty_Doesn't_Know

Don't Tell Scotty...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE Calais
ucwepn said:
You said in the other thread that they don't test drive cars after they are built LOL You must work in the automotive industry.

Meaning once the VE is released there would be no more TESTING being done on it. Any testing they're doing now will be for the VE II and VF.