Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Kid On The Block Wants To Make His Car Cool

V

vlwagonstallion

Hi All ,

I just recently bought an 86 VL auto station wagon SL , it has been kept immactualtly but now I want to make it look good , as well as go good , Im not a regular rev head and as far as car jargon goes im about as forgign as they come! but I know that it doesnt have the turbo motor in it , only the straight 6 3.0 and it has what look to be strips down the side reminiciant of a body kit, Im going to put a smaller stearing wheel in it and a cd player, it has tinted windows but other than that what can I do to make it look cool , its red and has wideish wheels on it now , My dad owns a Vk v8 which is lowered and it looks great , it has black trim and is white and I am wondering why mine doesnt have the balck trip around the windows like his , it looks great, is there anything else that would make the car go any better without costing a major fortune and huge mechanical alterations , coz as you can already tell , im not into cars as yet ,. this is my first , but im starting to like it all, ps. V8's rock! I am including a picture as well ... I think.

seventh path

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VL RB30 Berlina
lower it, bodykit(you can get away with front bumper and side skirts....but it would look better if you do the whole lot!) maybe try and get the windows darker....as for making it go beetter the first things i would do it put a pod filter on it, a new exhust system and maybe a chip!!!they're the simplest things to get done....if you want to spend the money change it to a manual(if it isn't all ready), and maybe get some work done to the head!

Snowfox

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore SL
Hi stallion, depending on cash flow you could also try a larger throttle body (eg Ford XF falcon) Other small things can make a difference like quality engine leads or better brake pads, better injectors etc. For looks maybe number plate frames or detailing. If you want to change things in the engine bay some people paint/polish their rocker covers and other components or replace them with chrome.

seventh path

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VL RB30 Berlina
what snowfox said......you can polish the rockercover with a gritty mag polish...if you could be bothered.there's a lot of things you can do if you look around

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
here you go, this is what i did to my vl, you might be interested

bigger throtal body
bigger air flow pipe
bigger air filter less restrictive
less restrictive air flow metter
bigger fuel pumps, both were uped in size
bigger fuel filter
increased injector squirt (had to up size of injectors for this)
made it a turbo (with help of a mechanic mate of mine)
aftermarket computer
17 inch mags
2.5 exhause with extractors
vt hsv brake disks + pads front and back (abs included and connected)
converted to 5sp manual (stronger clutch)
lowered the bad girl
body kit, (custom design, cost me a fortune for that)
complete re-spray,
just legal window tinting
calais interior with cruise control
re-vynal on door's and roof
electric seats and windows installed, (did this my self)
and of course, i put this cool looking chrome tip on the exhaust

that's just a small list of what i did, i cant remember what else i did to the girl. it was a project over a period of 2 year's, and cost me just under $13.000.00 to do, im sure that it could be done cheaper now day's the most expensive thing was the turbo and all releated mechanical work to make it strong

have fun and enjoy

cheers
garth

V

vlwagonstallion

Uhh Guys ... whats a rocker cover ? im compleatly and utterly lost in all this jargon , But I did understand getting in lowered and window tints , I dont really want to change it to a manual , i like autos , easier to drive , less effort. Ok ... but what are rocker covers ? and body kits , what do they look like on station wagons , I've never seen one before ? and do you guys have an estimate on like prices ? coz like I said , im Lost without you guys ! Either way thanks for the advice!

OHHH yeah ... whats the orange button on the side of the gear stick for ?

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
the orange button on the side of the gearstick is for the electronic over drive, while driving your car, if you hit the "Power button" it will kick the gearbox back a gear electronicaly giving you extra power, the rocker cover is on top of the body, look at the engine, and the first thing you should see is a think with holden written on it, it's the rocker cover, describing the colour is hard, it's like a silvery looking grey colour, it's the top most cover of your engine, you catn miss it

price wise, the vl is getting on in year's now, you can expect to pay some top money for anything you wanna do to a vl

coastvl

Member from the dead!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ EQUIPE six
If you want to go better then don't waste your money on the non-turbo motor. Trust me in years to come you'll wish you saved the money and just turbo the motor or get a jap import RB25det.
If you want to make it look better it's up to your own tastes. Check around on the net for other sites and companies that can supply parts for you VL.
Heres mine anyway.

V

vlwagonstallion

OK See how yours is black all the way from the side mirros all the way down the back down the sides of the wondows and then down the end , why isnt mine like that , and how can I make it like that , coz that makes it look mad too.

so far im lowering it
tinting the windows
putting a sports stearing wheel in
and trying to do that window thingy