Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New leads and plugs cause problems

Bitemylip

Reaction score
Mine did this, ended up being a faulty NGK spark plug that i had bought. it happens apparently.

vs_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6 Wagon and VT Exec V6 Wagon
You might have pulled the EGR exhaust gas recirculation hose out. It's the little black hose that goes into the bottom of the throttle body. mine comes off all the time, and the car chugs like a biggest loser walking up the stairs. It's fiddly to put back... but a long screw driver and maybe needle pliers will help.
Just a thought.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
It's not the answer to everything, but in this case there's a good chance you will be able to see where the problem is by looking for sparks in the dark. Wait till night time, pop the bonnet and start it up. look around the coils leads and plugs. If nothing try revving it while you watch. If you see sparks somewhere, you have found the problem.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
NGK plugs have been bad of late i know of at least 5 people that changed plugs and had issues one v8 wouldnt even start after swapping the plugs the others just ran rough as .

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
I usually change plugs and leads on different days purely cause they a niggly lil bastards, and if faulty dont need to check everything at once.

Dannal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Executive
It turned out to be a dodgy connection on one of the injectors. The mechanic pulled one off at a time and by the time he got to the 4th one he had found it. Not only has the problem been solved cheaply but now the car runs like a dream.

EREXON

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais Series II
Dont know if this has been mentioned however this happned to me also the other day. Number 2 coil wasnt sparking.
Changed the 5 and 2 coil and everything is fine.

Just check for spark at the lead end if 1 isnt sparking check at the coil side.

At the coil side:
remove each plug 1 at a time from the coil step back get someone to start the car and you'll see if it arcs if not there is no spark from the coils.

Hope that helps

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
Heres a couple of tips.
If your sus on new leads or plugs, find out which cylinder is missing then swap leads first then plugs and see if the miss follows. If not, its something other than leads or plugs.
I always use a SMALL amount of "never sieze" type grease (Wurth CU800) on the plug threads when I install them. Never had a sticky plug.
Never had any dramas with NGK plugs or leads. IMO the quality of the leads is as good as OEM. Generally I use genuine leads as the price is good as well as the quality.
Cheers
J

kz1000a

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VP Calais
Another czar for Morton:thumbsup:

Dannal - just changed spark plugs and ignition leads. It has developed a serious miss

Morton - unplug each injector one by one

Dannal - turned out to be a dodgy connection on one of the injectors. The mechanic pulled one off at a time

mechaaaaanic?:bang: