Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New owner... Possible VY II S ute mods?

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
how do you mean enable rear channels? what is it?

Tomorrow i am having my exhaust done for 80 bucks... cutting off the last muffler? like bout a meter of pipe then having straight pipe to a dual dumper. should look nice and sound a bit louder :) also having the car fully serviced and detailed so will look, smell, sound and feel better 2moz arvo.

Rear channels - they're disabled on your ute's head unit. Go to holden and ask them to hook the tech 2 up to the car and reprogram your head unit into a sedan one.

Muffler - having done this before when i was REALLY STUPID i'd suggest you don't do it. It drones like an old woman, sounds like poo and is illegal. at least put twin resinators on the back - it MIGHT make it sound alright but please don't do this to your ute...

hail storm

Reaction score
Rear channels - they're disabled on your ute's head unit. Go to holden and ask them to hook the tech 2 up to the car and reprogram your head unit into a sedan one.

Muffler - having done this before when i was REALLY STUPID i'd suggest you don't do it. It drones like an old woman, sounds like poo and is illegal. at least put twin resinators on the back - it MIGHT make it sound alright but please don't do this to your ute...

Ha ha I rang up my local Holden dealer when you put up that thread about yours and the guy didn't know what I was on about!!!!!Might try a Holden dealer in a larger town next time.

Go a Redback cat back exhaust,they sound pretty good.

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ha ha I rang up my local Holden dealer when you put up that thread about yours and the guy didn't know what I was on about!!!!!Might try a Holden dealer in a larger town next time.

Go a Redback cat back exhaust,they sound pretty good.

the parts manager at Holden in Tenterfield said he'd do it for free for me (connections - wa chow!). Apparently they just plug the tech2 in, change the head unit category code from a 1 to a 6 (or maybe the other way around) and bam there you have it.
Somewhere around this forum (i think it's in my mysterious plug topic in the VY section) phreddy actually says what they have to do.
Hope this helps you.

Burto89

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ S-Pack Ute
so basically the rear channels are connected to the stereo head unit or is it part of the engine? sry if its a dumb question not very car savy.

As to the muffler i have already had it done and i like the sound! you hear it when u put ure foot down a bit but when just cruising its quite as, love it, and the new dual dumper looks smick!

Yea my holden dealer is a tight ass haha Gadstone! they said its a100 buck an hour on the tech2 gear but i am guessing it should only take 5 mins tops yea?

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
did you get the car there? i'd be going to the dealer you got the car off (if it was a holden one) and get them to do it for free. The dealer i got mine off has done nothing but help me in getting bits like the third brake light for cheap - they said they'd do the tech 2 thing for free but they're an hour away so the fella in town is.

As for your muffler hmmmm... now you'll sound like 80% of the vn-vs drivers out there...

oh and for time you're spot on - if it takes em any more time than 5mins they probably don't know what they're doing. The trick is to spell it out to them and make it sound as if a drunken monkey could do it. If you end up getting an SS bar i'd be using that as bartering chips to get them to do a freebie.

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
You'd be surprised actually. Just had a look at a twin 10" and 12" sub setup in the back of a ute in brisbane today. With the hard cover down it's pretty quiet outside
Why would you do that? So OTHERS can hear your music better than you? (unless you have your windows down) That's just plain stupid

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
You'd be surprised actually. Just had a look at a twin 10" and 12" sub setup in the back of a ute in brisbane today. With the hard cover down it's pretty quiet outside
Was there much sound getting into the cabin? Through the rear firewall? And was there a hole in the wall (which would need an engineers certificate) to get the sound into the cabin better?

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
The majority of the noise was going into the cab.
He had a ute liner which was packed with old blankets to stop the ute from rattling - probably acts as a bit of sound deadening.
No holes were cut or anything in the wall.
Trust me i had my doubts about how loud and annoying it would be, but it worked pretty damn good.