Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Rims For the VZ(Help Needed)

SSV's Or Supersport's?

• Total voters

RdWarrior

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Vz Calais 3.6L
Hi Guys,

I own a 2004 vz calais and have been running stockies for two years, i am looking for a new set of rims for the ride and have my eye on the 20" supersports and the 19" ssv's

I require some assistance with the selection as i really want to run supersports but by the sounds of things requires a lot of work such as, Rolling the guards, denting the struts etc. which i don't want to do (also been told this isnt necessary) and what kind of specs for the tread will i need? I've been told 225/30/20 is good but need confirmation. I'm also going to walling them too!

On the other hand SSV's apparently fit without rolling the guards so long as the right tread specs are there.

Could someone who knows a thing or two about upsizing rims on the vz please help me out and give me the need to know about the process and what has to be done for both supersports and ssv's.

P.F.A

SSVs.jpg
supersportunwalled.jpg
The first image is credited to ted
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/teds-my06-vz-calais.197773/
The second one im unsure of who's it is

Last edited:

bigdealbaby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
Hey mate,

I personally really like the super sports, I have a set of 20’s for my ute but thinking of swapping them for a set of supersports.

My wheels are 8.5 inches wide with 225’s stretched on, +45 offset and I had no issues with the struts however once lowered will require guard rolling, there are places around that can do this without damaging paint though I’ve heard so this is less of a hassle I guess.

What colour is your car?

RdWarrior

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Vz Calais 3.6L
Thanks for the reply bigdealbaby
My car colour is Odessy(276m) which is the same colour of the cars pictured to help give people an idea.
So you reckon that 225/35 will not have any issues with rubbing on the vz's then? With stock suspension that is

bigdealbaby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
No worries bud.

I’m not clear on the setup of the suspension on the sedans vs ute (mine is a ute) but can only vouch for my experiences mate and I had no troubles at all on a wider rim than both the super sports and ssv’s.

With the abover pictures they both look “roughly” the same height, I think the ssv’s look more modified whereas the supersports have a cleaner more subtle look although they’re bigger.

I’m sure either way it’ll look sweet.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I have 19" SSV's on my VZ, have a finger gap between the tyre and the strut.

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
Super sports all the way.
I think there a much nicer looking wheel then the SSV wheels.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Supersports all the way -great looking factory rim.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
I like the SSV rims myself, but I've got CV8-R Monaro rims on my VZ 1 Tonner....I like the look of the flat 5 spoke rims.
I've never liked the supersports, I think that they look really plain and boring.
But that's only my personal preferences and you should just choose the rims that you like best.