Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New (to me) warning message...

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
Jumped in the car yesterday to be greeted by a new warning message on the DIC: "REPLACE BATTERY IN REMOTE KEY", accompanied by a graphic showing 0% battery life. This surprised me as the car is only 3 years old and has only done 35k km. My wife told me she had seen the same message when she drove the car, using her own key. I can't recall ever changing the battery in my VZ fob in the 10 years I had it, but then again I suppose the RKE (Remote Keyless Entry) system in the VF Calais V means the fob is constantly emitting a signal, which can be picked up by the car when the fob is within a metre or so.

Replacement of the CR2032 coin battery in each fob was simplicity itself. It took more time to get the batteries out of their child-proof packaging than to install them in the fobs! Interestingly, the old batteries clocked in at 2.93v on my voltmeter, so I reckon they've still got plenty of life left. I'll use them in my wife's digital cooking scale, which seems to go through batteries fairly regularly (and is not mission critical!).

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Having a remote with an easily replaceable battery (even though it only lasts three years) is a vast improvement over the semi-sealed remotes of the past. My son's 11/2014 Mazda 3, remote with the same CR2032 battery, also recently ran out of oomph so it's not limited to Commodores. The Mazda 3 owner's manual does state that the battery should be replaced every three years. After doing a quick search in the VF owners manual, I couldn't find anything on suggested replacement periods, but it might be hidden there somewhere.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Holden tried to charge me $30 a battery the other day to replace them in my flat remotes. Lol

BLOWN-WH

Reaction score
Members Ride
Statesman-Caprice collection

Clay1391

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssv redline
My remote start wasnt working so the dealership replaced the batteries. Worked perfect ever since.

cashie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V
Changed mine last week as a matter of course as I don't know when the last owner had changed them. Each key had a different battery type so I'm guessing at least one had been replaced at some stage. Cheap insurance 2 x 2032's.

RockDAhouse

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
I have the same thing last night, 1 more month to go and car will be 3 years old. was looking at the key fob and think how am i going to open this thing ?! pull one of the case and off it goes.... too easy :)

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Anyone know if this would be a time-based thing, or if the car's detecting a weak signal from the key-fob?
I'm pretty sure our car's a July 2014 build, albeit first registered January 2015.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Would be worth changing the batteries now, they are only around $2 each so you're not saving much by leaving them in until they fail.