Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Xtreme Clutch problem?

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
How noisy is it?

What???

paul a dmf, generally dampens driveline shock/vibration,

replacing it with a smf, 'can' induce a chatter in the gearbox, thats the name of the game, from what ive been told, more common in the xtreme clutch

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
Oh ok, thanx Andrew.

When i heard him say that the rattle is normal in a gearbox, i couldn't stop laughing.

Ill guess ill find out when i get an aftermarket clutch.

ROLNBG

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6 M6
How noisy is it?

It's pritty bad when it under load in 2nd and 3rd at about 1300rpm till 2000rpm then goes away. the gearbox shifts fine and fells fine. Well i took it 4 a cruz yesterday and it seem it doesn't do it when the gearbox oil is still cold but when it gets to running temp it comes and goes at times.

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
aisin spec is 75w-90 though, so yes it is fine,

dexron111 may allow it to shift better, but it wont protect the gearbox aswell as the 75w-90, ive only every heard holden recommend dex111 in the tremec boxes aswell

wouldn't a gear oil allow faster shifting then ATF? ATF to my understanding has alot of friction modifier so the sycros would take longer to come up to speed. but having all the friction modifiers plus the fact ATF can handle alot higher temps should result in alot less wear.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
wouldn't a gear oil allow faster shifting then ATF? ATF to my understanding has alot of friction modifier so the sycros would take longer to come up to speed. but having all the friction modifiers plus the fact ATF can handle alot higher temps should result in alot less wear.

but dex111 is roughly 10w-20 grade oil and is more on the hydraulic oil side of things, gear oil being thicker, is more clingy and generally dosnt run back as quick, keeping bearings that are splash lubed, lubed longer then thinner oil, the thinner the easier it is for it to squeeze out of componenets, eg, synco etc etc, as such, makes gear shifting easier, syncros brake the surface of the oil quicker, make contact and brake quicker, but at a cost of not protecting the internals as well, but, thats what ive been told by mentors of mine, guys with the expierance, ive learnt from....

really i go by whats recommended unless a dealership can give me a document showing a superceded spec, ill go by the manufactores spec in the book, eg, the tremec box is rated for atf, some rodeo gearboxes are recommended for regular engine oil etc, etc,

monaro, not doubting what the dealer has said to you, but i wouldnt be surprised if the dealers you rang think the v6-v8 boxes are the same, too many times ive talked to someone at a counter or ill informed worker and they've given the wrong spec or information

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
Chill mate, i had no intension of using the atf in my gearbag. the advice i got from redline was to use an 75w-90 GL4 oil they said dispite the manufacture recommending a GL5 oil they get the best results with a GL4 in the sv6 6spd. they reckon the GL4 oil allows for faster shifting then a GL5 oil.

Mainlube recommended an 75w-90GL5 oil as per spec.stating there GL5 oil will shift just as fast.

Mobil/castrol/penrite/nulon all said i can only use holden's oil in this box which is bs as holden don't make oil so they are buying it some where.

holden dealers say just use atf.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
Chill mate, i had no intension of using the atf in my gearbag. the advice i got from redline was to use an 75w-90 GL4 oil they said dispite the manufacture recommending a GL5 oil they get the best results with a GL4 in the sv6 6spd. they reckon the GL4 oil allows for faster shifting then a GL5 oil.

Mainlube recommended an 75w-90GL5 oil as per spec.stating there GL5 oil will shift just as fast.

Mobil/castrol/penrite/nulon all said i can only use holden's oil in this box which is bs as holden don't make oil so they are buying it some where.

holden dealers say just use atf.

haha, i wasnt even getting worked up lol, i thought you were using atf though, anyway rule of thumb is if it gets hard a shifting you could go higher visco engine oil, if that dosnt free up so good, then go to atf

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
i'm still using factory stuff. changing it this weekend.

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mate you didn't meantion that you got the button clutch version of the xtreme, button clutchs are normally quite noisy. from my understanding they quieten up when you give them a bit of a thrash so try that. don't go over board just try and get a bit of heat into it.