Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

NGK Laser Iridium vs NGK Iridium Ix

Hussien

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE v8 L98 6.0L
Hi

I will buy spark plugs, but there are two types. They are Laser Iridium and Iridium Ix.

NGK Iridium/Platinum Spark Plug (64$ US)

NGK Single Iridium Spark Plug (54$ US)

Which one should I buy?

I have two cars. One has L98 engine and the other car has LS2 engine.

Last edited:

Hussien

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE v8 L98 6.0L
Both the laser iridium and the ix iridium have laser welded center electrodes. The biggest difference, other than the $5 difference, is the platinum disc welded to the ground electrode on the laser iridiums. Another difference that ngk doesnt mention is the fact that the ground electrode is tapered at the end on the ix plugs. The laser iridium is an oe approved long life replacement good for 100k miles, while the ix is not an oe approved replacement, and rated to 60k miles. This is according to ngk's website and their tech guy.

I don't know much about spark plugs, but I read the pdf file. I understand that the both types are the same, but the only difference is that the laser iridium lasts more than the iridium ix. is that true?

TAS1981

Reaction score
Really? I have never bought anything else and I have never had a single spark plug problem?

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
The Lasers are better coated (platinum on the electrode) and have longer service intervals than the Ix (about 60k kms more), that's about it. Whether they actually last the distance is another thing.

I run NGK Ix on my boosted setup and they've been fantastic. Yanked a couple out the other day to check them and after 30k km they look almost as good as the day I whacked them in.

$70 for the six from the UK.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Ngk are the worst spark plugs loool.

Please tell me more.

/sarcasm.

I wouldnt bother with the upgraded laser version, theyre a longer life plug and thats about it. Theres nothing to special about them spark or performance wise.

Personally I wouldnt be leaving plugs in for that long regardless.