Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

NGK Laser Iridium vs NGK Iridium Ix

Hussien

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE v8 L98 6.0L
Depends on if you have to strip your inlet manifold every time you change them ;)

My car has a v8 engine. V8 engines don't require strip the inlet manifold when changing the spark plugs. :surprise:

Hussien

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE v8 L98 6.0L
Plugs are plugs. Get the right heat range in NGK and put them in. Iridiums just last longer, but not 10 times the price longer...

The dealer is using the ACDelco p/n 41-985 spark plugs. The spark plugs ran very well initially, but they only lasted 22,000 miles. The engine started misfiring after 22K miles.

I used NGK website, and the NGK Equivalent Part is PZTR5A-15. I google it and I found that the gap for PZTR5A-15 is 1.5 mm (.059"). The spark gap should be 1.0mm (.040") gap, right?

My engine is a v8 L98 6.0L

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
My car has a v8 engine. V8 engines don't require strip the inlet manifold when changing the spark plugs. :surprise:

Yep, well aware buddy, that's the main reason rare metal plugs exist and exactly why you don't need them. If changing plugs is a day job (i.e. the five banger Volvo engines) you don't really want to have it done once a year.

If you're getting 35k km out of iridium plugs then maybe you should investigate what's wrong with your engine, as opposed changing brands. Copper plugs should last nearly that long.

A stock L98 runs 1.5mm gap.

Hussien

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE v8 L98 6.0L
Yep, well aware buddy, that's the main reason rare metal plugs exist and exactly why you don't need them. If changing plugs is a day job (i.e. the five banger Volvo engines) you don't really want to have it done once a year.

If you're getting 35k km out of iridium plugs then maybe you should investigate what's wrong with your engine, as opposed changing brands. Copper plugs should last nearly that long.

A stock L98 runs 1.5mm gap.

now I am so confused. According to this pdf file, the gap should be 1.0mm for Commodore V8, VE 6.0L Gen IV L98 2006-2010. The part number is 41-963.

http://www.acdelco.com.au/PDFs/Catalogue_ACDelco_Spark Plugs.pdf

The dealer here is using the wrong spark plugs, right?

gunsmoke

Gunsmoke
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS & VZ Exec
Wow so much to it.
At Cov's they said NGK Laser Iridium (premium) part IZTR5B11- Stock no 1465. ($14 ea) Direct replacement for Holden genuine.
Then a good custom tune shop said use the Holden genuine plugs as they are pretty good _about $6 ea
Then all the info you have given.
Mine will go in tomorrow if same as ones coming out. '06 VE SS L98
Sorry to confuse you.