Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

No anti-virus software? No internet connection

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
No anti-virus software? No internet connection | News.com.au

AUSTRALIANS would be forced to install anti-virus and firewall software on their computers before being allowed to connect to the internet under a new plan to fight cyber crime.

And if their computer did get infected, internet service providers like Telstra and Optus could cut off their connection until the problem was resolved.

Those are two of the recommendations to come from a year-long inquiry into cyber crime by the House of Representatives Standing Committee on Communications.

Results of the inquiry, titled Hackers, Fraudsters and Botnets: Tackling the Problem of Cyber Crime, were released last night in a 260-page report.

In her foreword, committee chair Belinda Neal said cyber crime had turned into a "sophisticated underground economy".

"In the past decade, cyber crime has grown from the nuisance of the cyber smart hacker into an organised transnational crime committed for vast profit and often with devastating consequences for its victims," Ms Neal said.

During its inquiry the committee heard a growing number of Australians were being targeted by cyber criminals and that increasing internet speeds were likely to make the situation worse.

It also heard the problem was costing Australian businesses as much as $649 million a year.

The committee looked at several different examples of cyber crime, including hacking, phishing, malware and botnets.

Among its final 34 recommendations were:

— The creation of an around-the-clock cyber crime helpline.

— Changes to the law to make unauthorised installation of software illegal.

— Companies who release IT products with security vulnerabilities should be open to claims for compensation by consumers.

Another of its recommendations was to create a new "e-security code of practice" that would define the responsibilities of internet service providers and their customers.

The code of practice would see companies like Telstra give their customers security advice when they signed up and inform them if their computer ever appeared to be compromised.

For their part, customers would have to install anti-virus and firewall software before their connection was activated and endeavour to keep the software up-to-date.

If a customer's computer was infected by malware, the service provider could introduce gradual restrictions and eventually cut off their internet connection entirely until the machine was "remediated".

What will they think of next......

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
ahahahahahahahaha

Surely it is easier to just ban idiots using a computer?

Got to love this Chinese government...oh wait, we are in Australia...

I am curious, how would one buy anti-virus if their net is disconnected?

How do they deal with Mac/*nix users?

Those damn spams and scams are ruining our portal

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I just noticed this line:
— Changes to the law to make unauthorised installation of software illegal.

Unauthorised? Are they saying that they are going to filter what software we can use now?

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
*facepalm*

Once again the goverment showing they have abso-****ing-lutely no idea about, well frankly, anything.

More Policies aimed at 'protecting' the retard population at the expense of the rest of us.

I found this bit funny:

Changes to the law to make unauthorised installation of software illegal.

Who is that law even supposed to target? The hackers who create malware that installs itself on your machine? Yeah, those people will definately give a crap that it's now 'illegal' in Australia... lol.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
It will be illegal to exist soon. Unless you have no job and come by boat - then it's free hotel and food.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Its traditional for people to dislike politicians. But these clowns have taken their idiocy to the next level.
It really is becoming almost dangerous to have these dipshits running the country. I can't see one politician on a national or state level whom i'd feel safe with them in charge. Regardless of which party they pledge allegiance.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
It will be illegal to exist soon. Unless you have no job and come by boat - then it's free hotel and food.

**** the hotel and food, family down the road just got given a house and car, all brand new, all fully furnished, anyone who wants a hosue but cannot afford one should throw all their identities away and sail away and come back. Your life will be made.

Its traditional for people to dislike politicians. But these clowns have taken their idiocy to the next level.
It really is becoming almost dangerous to have these dipshits running the country. I can't see one politician on a national or state level whom i'd feel safe with them in charge. Regardless of which party they pledge allegiance.

I will vote for the other party simply because they cannot be any worse than what we have now. Surely there is no-one as retarded as conroy out there? This Labor party puts blue bus travellers to shame...cannot expect much though when you have party members as paid supporters of the communist club.

Tim Smtih

Sexy Man
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Members Ride
just buy a v8 lol
Hackers are smart, well they do do their thing for a living. And do you think that every anti-virus program will be able to catch every virus/trojan etc before it's able to infect your computer? And once your computer is infected guess what, no internet service for you. Oh did anyone figure out that your service provider would have to have some sort of remote access to be able to determine in the first place whether or not your computer was infected, and if this was the case you would have to hope you didn't have anything questionable or illegal on there as well. No really wtf is wrong with the people that come up with these ideas? Are they getting paid for this stuff or are the powers that be visiting the local primary school fishing for ideas.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
I will just fold the ballot up and put it in the box. I feel better not being responsible for either f*ck up. My choice, and im happy with :)

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
why don't they force Australian ISP's to get their security sorted, then their customers wouldn't get viruses and SPAM.
Apparently half the reason Australia is such a target for SPAM, is because our ISP's don't have the systems in place to stop spammers hijacking email addresses.