Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

No More Harrier Service At Dealerships?

Zehq

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF2 SV6 Black
What is the Harrier service?
Harrier.jpg

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Thank you for your sage advice, I wouldn't have been able to work this out without you.

Harrier- a person who engages in attacks upon others!!!

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Looks like a quick service of the car to me, which most places do anyways...

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Looks like a quick service of the car to me, which most places do anyways...
Nailed it! And I love how they list everything twice under different names. Brakes 3 times...
Most dealerships would call this a major service ;) and charge you $450. If your lucky you might get an air filter thrown in.
Anyway why don't you just book it in for the minor log book services at 7500km intervals? These are in the log book so I can't see the problem.

DjBrenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf CalaisV 3.6 & 2017 SSVR Auto
I had a harrier service done about 9 weeks ago. Should read 'over priced' oil change, I didn't realise until I read the papers afterwards. Won't happen again that's for sure.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I did a search on ‘harrier service’ and it turns up hits on after-market warranty products. Maybe the dealership is no longer associated with the Harrier (brand) warranty products?

M

mwb235

I did a search on ‘harrier service’ and it turns up hits on after-market warranty products. Maybe the dealership is no longer associated with the Harrier (brand) warranty products?

Yep it’s an aftermarket “extended warranty”. In 2015 I bought a 2012 FG Mk2 (dons flame resistant suit) just out of factory warranty, and somehow in the rush decided to get an extended warranty. They said it was a “factory Ford” extended 3 year warranty (total 6). Long story short, turned out it wasn’t. Harrier is the warranty provider, not Ford. Conditional on getting ALL servicing done at the $tealer$hip and at their excessive prices. Not allowed to use my usual mechanic. So I cancelled the warranty 6 months later and got a partial refund. IMHO (and in my trusty independent mechanic’s opinion) it wasn’t worth the paper it was written on. In the same category as these totally unnecessary “paint protection” packages dealers will sell you if you let them - it’s just a ripoff. I know my mechanic isn’t saying this just so he gets my business either - I’ve known him for a long time and he is fair dinkum. I had trouble walking straight for a while after the above, but lesson learned...

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mwb235

Jump jet?

Yep it’s jump jet as in “jump in, bomb the Falklands to keep Maggie happy, jump out”.

“Harrier Attack” was also an excellent flight-type game on the Amstrad CPC-464 back in the 80’s. Ah, those were the days!

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
Yep, I'm pretty sure Harrier is dealer specific warranty they offer on used vehicles and as extended warranties on new ones. Harrier service is scheduled servicing as part of that warranty.
Eg. My VF came with 6 years warranty. 3 years manufacturers warranty followed by an additional 3 year dealer warranty starting at the end of manufacturers warranty. The first 3 years follows the service book intervals and the usual rules associated with new car warranty. Full cover with all faults etc. With the additional 3 years (harrier warranty)it inly covers specific parts of the car up to certain dollar amounts and the services must be completed at the dealer of purchase, are fixed priced and done at 6 month/10,000 kms intervals.

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Hmm ... yes, general consensus is that unless the extended warranty expressly has the same terms & conditions of the factory warranty (except distance/duration of course :)) then it's not worth paying for (nor even getting bundled in, probably, because if they're throwing it in then they could've offered a bigger discount).

Of course it's often (usually?) covered by a third party, as it's effectively a form of insurance. I think the Nissan-branded one Dad bought to extend his Maxima to 5yrs/150k was actually underwritten by Allianz ... seemed a fairly good deal in that case, as per factory warranty it only needed to be serviced to the book & at any MTA workshop.

Being unaware of the pitfalls, he bought a Wynns warranty on an 18-month-old (so only 6 months of warranty at the time) Civic he bought for Mum in '93. Seemed a good idea at the time, and I guess if something medium-sized had gone wrong it would've covered most of the cost (if something large had gone wrong the cost wouldn't have been covered - but that was unlikely in an 18 month old 1991-spec Honda). Something small went wrong, central-locking stopped working in the rear passenger's side door, the dealer found that some screws had come loose (probably from the previous owner pulling their stereo out), but it wasn't covered under warranty because the wording was that the warranty covered "parts and the labour to install them" ... no parts needed replacing, it was only labour, and that wasn't covered. Not an expensive lesson at all, but annoying when your expectation is the same as for a new-car warranty where you drop it at the dealer & it just gets fixed.

Anyway, back to RoganJosh's problem; seems to me as though he has paid good money to the dealer for a warranty which that dealer is now refusing to either honour or carry-out the work required that it will be honoured. Am I understanding it correctly - these extra services are needed so that the warranty holds, and you can't get them done at another dealer either because the warranty doesn't allow that? So as a result of their actions it will never be possible to claim on the warranty which has been paid for?
I'd be kicking up a major stink, or demanding at least a partial refund like mwb235 did.

Last edited: