Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

No overdrive pls help

Simonvl

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl belina
Hi guys , ok I found out that my auto does go into 4th gear but then I believe when I release power(off) button it should drop from 2200 rpm to about 1900 rpm, but it doesn't it says at 2200 rpm weather I push the pwr button in or out, ( the pwr light comes on and off )

Any help pls

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
Solenoid might be broken but I'm unsure as the only thing that i've broke on my old Silvia regarding the O/D was the button which I just replaced, but sounds like it could be the solenoid mate

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
had a similar problem, can't pinpoint the exact fix as i messed with the speedo and the small plugs for the vss and the connections on the auto computer, this car was riddled with corroded/tarnished connections everywhere and while fixing dodgy dash gauges and other miscellaneous electrical issues it decided it did have 4th gear and the pwr button started to have an effect..... before it was exactly like you described, had 3 gears only with pwr on or off.

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
trans ECU is responsible for o/d with torque converter lockup feature..
Could be wiring harness basically as stated above.
if the trans ecu is unplugged it will do the same. so could be a loose connection.
(trans ecu is located under dash where ur right knee would sit.(fuse box on a vk) under the flip plate. but to get to the loom plug u will need to get under dash.(easy job) mine plays up when its been raining a lot. so moisture would be stuffing with mine.

Simonvl

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl belina
Ok I shall look at ecu connections again, which solenoid would it be the clutch or the kick down?

Simonvl

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl belina
Ok guys thanks very for all input and have taken all on board , as I took the dash cluster

out to do mods I did as jxw said and cleaned all contacts plugs and bits and now it all works pwr button works !!

Bux

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb vn & vy
If it plays up again, (took me a few goes to fix it for good) you need to go over all the solder joints on the dash cluster board. dry solder joints which are very difficult to see need to be resoldered. After i did this it hasnt been a problem for 2 1/2 years now.

Simonvl

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl belina
Yeah I had already reflowed all solder joints, I found it was the black main plug which connects to the cluster , just bent the female connector a bit closer together so it was a nice snug fit ! Works well guys thanks again for input.

Jeffro69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
My VL had the same drama with overdrive not working & also the car not kicking down in lower gears. After a lot of research & trying solenoids/trans computer ect ect. I pulled the instrument cluster apart & had the circuit board resoldered. Turns out it had a dry solder joint & works perfectly again.
Thanks everyone for your help