Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

No power at ECU in VE

VE clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE clubsport
So,
I’ve tested the jump start point under the bonnet, there is power there.
I’ve tested the + terminal on the alternator, there is power there.
I’ve test the lead that goes over to the front of the fuse box, there is power there.
Still same issue, no power where I want, only power to some of the fuses.
Have checked all fuses, there was one blown in the boot of the car, not sure what it was for but I have replaced it and no difference.
Have no idea where to start now.

VE clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE clubsport
41DE76C9-05EF-47A8-B703-49EBA3747CA6.jpeg
688D0CEA-2E31-4A99-9370-B5AAD8F95806.jpeg

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
...........I’ve checked all other fuses in the boot and inside the car and there isn’t any blown. Anyone got any ideas?

So,
I’ve tested the jump start point under the bonnet, there is power there.
I’ve tested the + terminal on the alternator, there is power there.
I’ve test the lead that goes over to the front of the fuse box, there is power there.
Still same issue, no power where I want, only power to some of the fuses.
Have checked all fuses, there was one blown in the boot of the car, not sure what it was for but I have replaced it and no difference.
Have no idea where to start now.

So I’ve checked the power at the R13 relay and it’s only getting power to pins 85 and 87 ????? at all times, no power at pin 30 at all.
It's physically impossible to have power at PIN 87 and no power at these 5 fuses, and you said you've tested this with another fuse box, the fuse box isn't wired like that, So i don't know if what you've posted in regards to which pins of R13 have power is making any sense ATM. You sure you got the pins ID'd correctly when you posted your test results on R13? Attachment below for pin id.
R13Pins.JPG

Is the fuse that blew in the boot now re-blown?
Which one was it?
So the 5 fuses circled in the last pic are the only 5 fuses with no power ATM?
What is actually wrong with the car, cranking but no start, or not cranking at all, starts but doesnt run?

Sorry if it sounds like we're going over the same ground here but checking, double checking is part of the process, not actually being there makes it a bit more difficult.

VE clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE clubsport
So the fuse in the boot was not blown when I originally checked everything the first time but has since blown, not sure why, have disconnected and reconnected the battery a few times and unplugged some plugs etc, could be it but anyway I’ve since replaced the fuse and still no change.
It’s okay, I don’t mind continuously going over these things to understand them haha you’re the one trying to help me out so I’m happy to give all the information I have, it’s appreciated.
As for the fuses with no power no those 5 aren’t the only ones, ill post some pics showing which ones have no power. I wish
I wish your theory about the inline fuse was right because I just want this solved, it’s doing my head in.
Car will not turn over at all, also had the guy around the other weekend that is going to tune the car for me (when it’s finally up and running) he connected his laptop and his scan tool to the car, he was going to put a base tune in it for me so I could start it up before taking it to his shop for the final time but when he connected he said his laptop/scan tool wasn’t picking up the ecm at all, he had a bit of a look around at things and found the fuse fault we are discussing now and told me rectify that so here we are.
Referring back to your diagram of the R13 relay I am 110% certain I tested the right pins, 85 & 87 are the only ones that light up.

Attachments

• 99D45543-5F75-44DC-910E-66979A43B9A6.jpeg
    99D45543-5F75-44DC-910E-66979A43B9A6.jpeg
    154.2 KB · Views: 369
  • 54FC5ABA-746E-4F6C-B201-B3104AF2B85A.jpeg
    54FC5ABA-746E-4F6C-B201-B3104AF2B85A.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 367
  • 719C3631-11AA-4F15-BC8B-674958D16E4F.jpeg
    719C3631-11AA-4F15-BC8B-674958D16E4F.jpeg
    178.3 KB · Views: 372
  • ECB5DEBD-1B7D-4272-9EB2-2A4D088BDB53.jpeg
    ECB5DEBD-1B7D-4272-9EB2-2A4D088BDB53.jpeg
    175.3 KB · Views: 359
  • 80DB22C0-A9EF-4D3C-A012-6813E7AE9E22.jpeg
    80DB22C0-A9EF-4D3C-A012-6813E7AE9E22.jpeg
    210.8 KB · Views: 426
  • FB3D5B65-A001-4CC4-9D86-1C39F75CFBEC.jpeg
    FB3D5B65-A001-4CC4-9D86-1C39F75CFBEC.jpeg
    255.9 KB · Views: 364

VE clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE clubsport
So I’m playing around with the car at the moment and I’ve been ******* around with the power train relay, it’s defintely working, tested it across a battery and can hear it clicking.
I’m getting power in at 87 and 85 and I’ve dodgied an earth wire from pin 86 to ground and finally I have power to the ecu fuse and the other 5 down the left hand side.
So my question now is what earths that circuit?

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
Ok, something caught my eye in your last pic of the rear fuse block......Why does the ECM BATT fuse which i have circled in white, look like this??
It has no cover on it. It should be a 15A blue fuse.RearFuses.jpg.
The one you've circled red in this pic is a spare fuse slot or not used.

Still mulling over you last posts results.

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
So I’m playing around with the car at the moment and I’ve been ******* around with the power train relay, it’s defintely working, tested it across a battery and can hear it clicking.
I’m getting power in at 87 and 85 and I’ve dodgied an earth wire from pin 86 to ground and finally I have power to the ecu fuse and the other 5 down the left hand side.
So my question now is what earths that circuit?

The ECM switches that circiut to ground through the ECM providing it has power.

Check the fuse that has no cover on it in the rear fuse block. This fuse is battery voltage to the ECM. It should be a 15A BLUE fuse

Check that you haven't "stretched" or opened up the terminals for RELAY 13 in the underhood fuse block with all the probing thats been happening, have seen this happen before.

If after doing this there is still no joy, We will have to keep looking. I really hope it's not your ECM thats toast.

VE clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE clubsport
So I checked the fuse that had no cover in the boot and it was still okay but I replaced it anyway with a new 15A blue fuse, definitely power there, so should be putting power to ecm. I’m starting to think maybe ecm is no good too, has been sitting around for a long time not that I thought that would matter, I’ve heard it’s not very common for the ecu itself to just stop working.
Would I be able to borrow the ecu out of my mates gts and just plug it into my car to see if it powers the fuses ? Or will his ecu be locked to his bcm or something and be no good to me?

VE clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE clubsport
Also I did check the fuse box terminals for the relay and they appear to be fine, don’t look damaged or stretched in anyway and the relay is still a nice tight fit

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
Let me check about the ECM swap, I think it wouldn't be ok but not sure. I'm thinking if the ECM dosn't "talk" to the immobilizer most of the fuses and relays for the power circuits wont become active if swapped with another ECM out of another vehicle as they are a vehicle specific programmed module and if the immobilizer, BCM, and other modules don't "recognize" the ECM nothing will power up anyway in regards to your fault of a no crank, no start issue as it would have the same symptom as what we are experiencing now.