Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

No servicing will void my warranty?

Antssute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 2 ssv redline ute
seals drying out is a old car problem i.e. rope seals
the belief of this is just carried on.
but if not driven things will not bode well for the car in the long term.
to prepare a car for storage and maintain properly will actually cost more than running on the road every few weeks or so.
for example bearings don't like sitting in one spot for long periods surface rust will form in tank and engine and many other parts.
at a minimum if I was to store a car I would put up on stands and rotate wheel every few weeks id also fill fuel tank and put stabiliser in fuel. id fill engine gearbox and diff with oil.
you would need to drain and replace all fluids every 12 months.
most fluids are hydroscopic so will attract moisture
of course this is just my thoughts

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
Hopefully you live on a quiet street and could take it for a 300m drive once a month, this will help keep it "fluid" replace fluids yearly and coolant and brake fluid every two years.

Talk to your dealer re warranty. My suggestion is they will have one of their mechanics come to you and perform the basics and stamp the book for the cost of the service plus a case of beer every 12 months (Holden allow 3 months or 3000kms over their intervals last time I looked). Otherwise - assuming it's unregistered, factor in the cost of a flatbed every 12 months.

woooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multiple
seals drying out is a old car problem i.e. rope seals
the belief of this is just carried on.
but if not driven things will not bode well for the car in the long term.
to prepare a car for storage and maintain properly will actually cost more than running on the road every few weeks or so.
for example bearings don't like sitting in one spot for long periods surface rust will form in tank and engine and many other parts.
at a minimum if I was to store a car I would put up on stands and rotate wheel every few weeks id also fill fuel tank and put stabiliser in fuel. id fill engine gearbox and diff with oil.
you would need to drain and replace all fluids every 12 months.
most fluids are hydroscopic so will attract moisture
of course this is just my thoughts
This is what I do, take it out every few weeks for a 30k drive or less. Tyres need to be rotated often when sitting.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I don't believe any of this hoo ha. I just let it sit and have no plans to drive in the near future. In 10 years, seals and the odd part will need replacing regardless of whether it's been driven or not.

RTSV6UTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Director build number 332..."CALDIR"
In 10 years, seals and the odd part will need replacing regardless of whether it's been driven or not.

Hi

Very true, I would be interested to know what seals people refer to that won't need changing within 10 years should a car be a daily driver that would otherwise need to be changed within 10 years if I put the car in storage.

Regards,

RTSV6UTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl v8 commodore
it's not only seals that go , but lack of use is common for pistons in master cylinders, slave cylinders , clutch plates seize and jam on flywheel, piston rings stick in ring groves, pistons seize in brake calipers, if you do not drive a car at least once a month, pump the brake and clutch pedals a few times to move the pistons, over time things jamup
best to drive half hour or more fully warm up engine, do this once a month, keeps everything moving

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Brake fluid is one item that would have to be changed regardless of how the car was used. Just operating brake and clutch pedals regularly won't address the natural deterioration of the fluid and, in turn, rubbers and cylinders.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I'd be concerned about stale fuel too. Or, if it's left bone dry, seals and diaphrams will likely deteriorate.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I'd be concerned about stale fuel too. Or, if it's left bone dry, seals and diaphrams will likely deteriorate.
I put stabil fuel stabliser in the tank and leave only 15L in the tank. Car gets moved around the property every now and then and topped up as required.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I would be interested to know what seals people refer to that won't need changing within 10 years should a car be a daily driver that would otherwise need to be changed within 10 years if I put the car in storage.

Regards,

RTSV6UTE
I knew of one chap that would completely fill the engine and pistons with oil, same with gearbox and diff (don’t know how he did that). His reasoning was that if not filled completely, cylinder walls above and below piston could developer rust as air contains moisture... But doing this made getting the car on the road for a drive a big job... Some approach this by putting the car in a bubble and pump dry air into it 24/7.

As to seals, possibly many as already mentioned but if you have air conditioning, they would also have a tough time if the compressor was not used...