Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

No traffic lights who gives way

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
Troy that's half correct, but you also have to give way to your right as well ...

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
May be correct in NSW, not everywhere though. Some states it is give way to right, which I think is better, saves confusion if you and someone to your right are both waiting to go with noone in the roundabout.

To OP, I'm also under the impression its give way to the right..

Round about rules are the same across Australia in regards to who has right of way.

A round about should be thought of as a circular road, and each road coming off it as a T intersection.

Therefore the people already on the roadabout have right of way.

This is mainly so that people can't fly through roundabouts at a million kmph with the "I came from your right, give way to me attitude"

If an oldy enters a roundabout and decideds to plod along through it at 5kmph and is cleaned up by someone flying through at 80kmph. The oldy is in the right as they are on the roundabout first thus have right of way over the speedy mcspeedy who enters later at a higher speed. (Hope that makes sense)

In regards to OP.

If there is a set of traffic lights, there won't be a giveway or stop sign. Therefore if the lights are out, its give way to right so the woman should have given way.

From what you have said and goin one your diagram, she entered an intersection blindly since she couldn't see past the other car AND she didn't give way to cars on her right.

So it is my opinion that you should be in the clear.

Good luck.

XST80

Cubic inches or gtfo.
Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Statesman S2 5L
Haha, I had this happen to me a couple weeks ago, the entire town lost power, shops, residences, traffic.

It's scary as hell because you don't know who is gonna go and who isn't.

You just have to give way to your right and get through the intersection as fast as possible while trying to avoid a collision from other cars.

LisnM8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman 5Litre
so looks like no one really knows definately and its a bit of a grey area, the only thing i can say is she must not of had a clear view of the intersection because the car turning right would of impeded her vision, bugger looks like ill be getting stuffed about by insurance comps again.....i thought it was law to give way to the right how wrong i was bugger, its stupd to think of it as a stop sign because someone will eventually have to go and run the risk of getting shafted like me.....

Jesterarts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
Give way to your right, well it was when I got my license in in WA a hundred years ago. Lights go out, it's an unmarked intersection.

06vzcalais

Reaction score
Round about rules are the same across Australia in regards to who has right of way.

A round about should be thought of as a circular road, and each road coming off it as a T intersection.

Therefore the people already on the roadabout have right of way.

This is mainly so that people can't fly through roundabouts at a million kmph with the "I came from your right, give way to me attitude"

If an oldy enters a roundabout and decideds to plod along through it at 5kmph and is cleaned up by someone flying through at 80kmph. The oldy is in the right as they are on the roundabout first thus have right of way over the speedy mcspeedy who enters later at a higher speed. (Hope that makes sense)

In regards to OP.

If there is a set of traffic lights, there won't be a giveway or stop sign. Therefore if the lights are out, its give way to right so the woman should have given way.

From what you have said and goin one your diagram, she entered an intersection blindly since she couldn't see past the other car AND she didn't give way to cars on her right.

So it is my opinion that you should be in the clear.

Good luck.

actually when the lights are blacked out its the same as a stop sign
i dunno where the op is from but in NSW theres a stop sign with 3 black dots on it at trafffic lights.. sometimes theres a stop sign with "when blacked out" below it

06vzcalais

Reaction score
not that it matters but here a pik

Attachments

• redlight.jpg
    redlight.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 293

Jesterarts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Ah k... haven't seen those around Vic.

So are those on all sides of the intersection or only on one side?

I guess that will decide who was at fault in this case... if the op had the stop sign thing then he is in the wrong and if the woman did than she is.

Thanks for clearing that up for me mate!

Cheers