Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

noise and headlights

VKNutt

Reaction score
Members Ride
84 VK Berlina
Hey hey,

I have got myself my dream car. 1984 VK Berlina. Was completely stock when I got it. now is lowered, nice set of 17" mags, Luki exhaust... y'know, the usual. Now there is some actual stuff I've got to fix on it so that runs as good as it looks. two things mainly.

1. There is this really annoying whine whenever I slow down to a stop. It is coming from the front end and happens regardless of how long I've been driving. it only happens when the car is moving. no noise on idle... I've checked the power steering as it sounds a little like it is running low on fluid, but the pump, rack and gear is all sweet... I don't know what else to check.

2. does anybody know how to beef up the headlights a little. mine are just far too dim. I work nights so do a lot of night driving and this is becomming quite a worrying thing for me as my lights when on high beam, are a little more dim than my wifes magna on low beam... any ideas?

cheers,

Dan :b:

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
For number 1, maybe check the belts, have a look for any leaks coming from the motor.

Number 2, see my post http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=22294
I was so excited about my results I wanted to share it although not many people seem to have replied. But anyway, if I can upgrade the headlight wiring to go from a 2 volt drop at each headlight to 200 millivolt, then I think that's not bad. Oh yeah and no more burnt fuse boxes.

Maimu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Commodore
ummm, well if the problem only exists when you are slowing down, Do you think it could be the brakes? I have owned VK's for years and when the brakes are getting low, or the disks have gone blue, they will make a whining noise.

And if you put Relays in the headlight circuit behind each headlight, will fix your dim headlights.

Cheers
Maimu

VKNutt

Reaction score
Members Ride
84 VK Berlina
Cheers for the tips with the headlights guys! I'll have a play!

In terms of the noise, I have already replaced all of the belts and the disks and pads. It seems to be coming from the LHF side of the car which as you know is where the PS pump is. Maybe I should replace it... however, the car only has 139,000km on it and the pump already looks as though it has been replaced, although I don't know when....

what do you think?

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Probably won't be it, but check out the exhaust manifold/header gasket. It might be leaky? :unsure:

VKNutt

Reaction score
Members Ride
84 VK Berlina
ta... I'll check it out

haloeight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato SII L67 S/C V6
brakes or wheel bearing

wheel bearings are fairly inexpensive and easy to change, however they usually make a rumbling noise not a whine

VKNutt

Reaction score
Members Ride
84 VK Berlina
can you check if the wheel bearings are stuffed or is it simply, replace and see?

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Knock the fron rotors off the car and clean all the grease off the bearings & insite the hub etc, you should see small chips in the roller surface if it is stuffed or grooves in the outta part of the bearing in the rotor.
If now repack the bearings with grease and install them and road test.

cheers
Scott

VKNutt

Reaction score
Members Ride
84 VK Berlina
ta for that scott... will give it a go tomorrow...