Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Noise while coasting

BravoSiera117

Reaction score
Members Ride
manual 2016 VF series 2 SV6 Black edition
Hi. I bought a VF series 2 SV6 last year and noticed just before its first service a whirring/clicking noise like putting a pen in a fan. The holden dealership said it was "characteristic of the car".
I'm not sure if the noise is getting worse, or I'm getting more annoyed by it. I've never heard anything like it, neither has anyone that has ridden in the car (including a retired mechanic). Any suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
I've never noticed such a noise in my Calais V. It could be something simple like the a/c fan hitting leaves caught up in the fan housing. Try turning off the a/c, and see if the noise goes away. Whatever it is, it's not "characteristic of the car". Is the noise constant or does it vary with engine or road speed?

BravoSiera117

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've never noticed such a noise in my Calais V. It could be something simple like the a/c fan hitting leaves caught up in the fan housing. Try turning off the a/c, and see if the noise goes away. Whatever it is, it's not "characteristic of the car". Is the noise constant or does it vary with engine or road speed?

The noise is pretty constant. But only when not accelerating or when the clutch is on the way in or out (manual). If the noise is characteristic of the gear box, it may only be in manuals.

It does sound metallic, so I don't think it's the fan hitting a leaf (also I clean all of that out regularly).

My plan at the moment is to get another mechanic to look at it, see if it's a warranty issue, then take it back to holden.

Last edited:

BravoSiera117

Reaction score
Members Ride
noise is similar to this link
but while coasting and sometimes pressing clutch.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Does it do it idling in neutral? (Input shaft bearings)
Idling in gear, clutch in? (Thrust bearing).
If not, then it might be Something like the lay shaft.
Also possibly centre bearing.
Can you feel it through the gear knob or clutch pedal?
I'd go to another dealer of possible.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
The noise is pretty constant. But only when not accelerating or when the clutch is on the way in or out (manual). If the noise is characteristic of the gear box, it may only be in manuals.

It does sound metallic, so I don't think it's the fan hitting a leaf (also I clean all of that out regularly).

My plan at the moment is to get another mechanic to look at it, see if it's a warranty issue, then take it back to holden.

Drive train components should obviously not be making a noise like that. Lots of people on this forum have manuals and they are not reporting this type of problem from what I have seen.
Getting an independent professional opinion is the way to go and have them write it up in some detail so you are well armed with fault data. If you cannot get co-operation from a dealer you may have to go to Holden direct.

The comment that the noise is "characteristic of the car" is often dealer service centre code for we don't like doing this kind of warranty work because we don't make any money out of it so we will palm you off with a bull dust story and treat you like an ignorant fool.

Holden should not wonder why their overall sales are so far down when some of their dealers treat new car customers like that.

I would book the car in to another dealer for just an extra oil and filter change and when booking and checking in indicate you want the drive train noise looked at. I don't know if you are in Sydney but if you are I would go to Pennant Hills Holden service in Pennant Hills road behind the Holden showroom.
http://www.pennanthillsholden.com.au/ServiceApptForm

BravoSiera117

Reaction score
Members Ride
Does it do it idling in neutral? (Input shaft bearings)
Idling in gear, clutch in? (Thrust bearing).
If not, then it might be Something like the lay shaft.
Also possibly centre bearing.
Can you feel it through the gear knob or clutch pedal?
I'd go to another dealer of possible.

doesn't do it idling in neutral
not while clutch is all the way in idling
Can't feel anything through gear knob or clutch pedal

I contacted the dealer (I'm not in Sydney, next closest dealer is close to an hours drive), booked in specifically to check noise, didn't seem keen still to admit there was a problem. I object to having to pay for an outside mechanic to inspect it if possible.

I have a very good mechanic that I go to for every other car I have and have had. But that mechanic doesn't deal with Holden warranties, so my options are limited. Needless to say, my regular service and everything else not warranty related will be done through him.
That said, I was very happy with the sales department, just not the service department. If I'm not happy with their response, I'll be contacting Holden directly, or the ACCC. No part in an engine should wear out before 20000kms.