Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Noisy Lifters (?)

Riley

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S2
Noisy Lifter-(s) (?)

g'day folks
I have a 3.8 VT Berlina (230k), had the car about 4 months and its been fine, took it to local mechanic for a service and general look around 3/11/08, mechanic liked what he saw (he's fussy). The guy went over everything and replaced thermostat, engine oil/filter, plugs, rear end oil, topped off the trans; checked the brakes the joints etc. I know he did a detailed job because he told me all that was wrong with it, down to the antenna not retracting and a driving light out and a leaky L/H manifold (disappears when hot).

Past 2 weeks, visited my mother about 45 min drive between rural locations, on leaving for home, slight tappet noise,... disappeared after 2 mins. Next start noise was a little stronger. Then each consecutive start it got less until it didnt seem to be there any more. The next Saturday same deal, 45 min run, noisy tappet on restart. This time it took longer to recover.

The next day the noise sounded very serious as it was loud and would go away until about 5-10 mins. Each restart it seems to get worse, and now its began to chug a little and sounds like its missing a bit. But when it warms up the noise is gone and the car is fine.

When idling the sound seems to come from the rocker covers, and with a hose against my ear sounds a bit like it comes from under the valley cover too, hard to be sure. It sounds like a lifter, or at least a noise about the same frequency, ....and its gone, absolutely gone when at running temp.

OK, Im not sure i can afford what ever might be going on, so I might have to repair the thing myself, so where do I begin to figure out what is going on

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Alternate between a tin and thick fuel, like try a 5W40, then a 20W50 and see the difference ? Try some of that Nulon lifter free and see if its helps.......could also be something to do with oil pressure etc, but seems to me oil is eitehr nto getting to a lifter cause its dirty or its damaged from wear and tear.

If your LH manifold is leaking check that is not making the noise either. Should get that fixed as well.

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
I would be going back to the 'fussy' mechanic to get an opinion from him. I have read here on this forum where oil changes, from a different grade/brand can sometimes bring on the 'sticky lifter ' syndrome.

Pablo

Riley

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S2
thanks for the comments and advice guys
When I started the car today the lifter noise was only there for about 5 seconds, it seems to be a variable problem. Im operating on the idea that the oil change released some gunk in the engine, and Im trying Nulon to see if that works out.

I hope its ok because I seriously like this car, leather interior and all....

skyper

SKYPER
Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6
when u bought the car it most likly had thicker oil in it ,if u want to stop the ticking lifter put 50 grade in it,it will not hert it,i have run 50 in mine 4 the last 100,000 kmh,i no when it needs an oil change /// the lifters tick slightly at idle,the chugging is a lifter pumping up

Riley

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S2
ok, i figure feedback is an important part of the process

i tried Nulon, but it didnt work, i ran it for about 300kms, and figured i better do something before i damaged the engine. So I dumped the nearly new in the engine oil for Magnatec 10/40 weight oil, kept the filter. First start and it was clack clack clack, but all subsequent starts and the noise is gone. No problems since and its been in for a few weeks. Had a phone conference with a guy from Autopro and my mechanic to make a decision on it.

might help to say that the Nulon was visible in the old oil (red colour), it just hadnt mixed in at all.

many thanks to you guys for helping me out, it is greatly appreciated, and I learned something in the process...

235rwkw

Reaction score
when u bought the car it most likly had thicker oil in it ,if u want to stop the ticking lifter put 50 grade in it,it will not hert it,i have run 50 in mine 4 the last 100,000 kmh,i no when it needs an oil change /// the lifters tick slightly at idle,the chugging is a lifter pumping up

other way around, thinner oil pumps up lifters quicker because it gets there sooner than thicker oil when cold.

lifter cleaner works if has crap caught in lifter/s, if just failed it won't fix it.

Riley

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S2
in continuance

eventually i changed the oil to Magnatek 10-40 and the lifter noise went away, but now cooler weather has arrived, and with it lifter noise has returned :(

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Riley, 1stly i dont believe you ran the Nulon cleaner for long enough. Secondly, try running a diesel oil like Delo 400, Delvac MX etc 15W40. High detergent package amy clean up some muck. Secondly, a better product that cleans seals, piston rings, lifters etc is Auto-RX. Look for it on the net, they have a Oz distributer but i got a few bottles from the U.S on sale when dollar was in the 90 cents U.S.

From the changing of oils, why not try a 5W40 ? Mobil 3000x2 5w40, Shell Helix Ultra, or Valvoline Synpower all have excellent oils.

Its a few months on now, how long and k's has the magnatec been in for ? Might be time for a change.....Also, what oil filters are you using ?

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
i use mobile 1 5 - 50 fully synthetic in my v6 and it runs great no probs at all, thats another to keep in mind aswell they also have a mobile 1 0 - 40 but i was told not to use that one