Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

nosy lifters in my VR

MikeysVR24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore 25th Anniversty Executive
Hey i was just wonderin if any one could help me with my VR commodore
the lifters in it are more nosier than my exhust :(
just wondering what would be the cheaper option
a) buying a new engine to put in
b) just getting the lifters fixed
thanks

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Hows your oil level ? When the oil gets real low the lifters get noisy.
Don't think it would be too expensive to replace ya lifters. If you did it yourself it would be even cheaper. haven't done it but believe you have to remove the intake manifold to access the lifters, as well as the rocker covers and rockers of course.
Get a quote from Holden and tell us how much

-=ApheX=-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8l Exec
noisy lifters can be "kinda" fixed with some oil additive, basically i'd flush oil out of engine, then add good oil. like magnatec, then add "lifter free" i think it is from Suprecheap, this will eventually break down the carbon build up and deposits of the lifters and hopefully stop that sound, but if it dosn't id be hunting around for the best quote on getting them replaced... I hear it's actually quite pricey if your not doing it your self...

MikeysVR24

Reaction score
Members Ride
hey guys thanks for that umm the oil level is fine i always check just in case that is the reason.
yeah i have done the oil flush then put the lifter free stuff worked for about 2 mins then it got louder i was like ohhh crap lol hmm..
yeah i asked the machinc today he said he will give me a quote so just waiting for the call :) hopefully not to expensive lol

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Its not much use replacing lifters if your oil pressure is low. Its also possible that oil flow is restricted due to a blocked oil pump pickup screen - although if you mechanic is worth his salt he will check this before spending your $$$$.

-=ApheX=-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8l Exec
yeah basically if the lifters are now "ticking" alot louder i'd probably sugesst new lifters... I once attempted to install new lifters,,, in the end i think i'd rather beat my head against a wall... but that being said if your confident with the internal mechanics of your engine then it should be a half day job at most...

MikeysVR24

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah i think it might be the oil pump because even when the engine is hot the oil level says the same i always thought that when it ts hot it would be low because it would all be up in the engine.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
you're not checking the engine oil with the engine running are you?
If you look through the filler cap hole with the engine running canyou see oil flowing ?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
yeah i think it might be the oil pump because even when the engine is hot the oil level says the same i always thought that when it ts hot it would be low because it would all be up in the engine.

Its exactly the opposite - when the engine is hot the oil is very thin and drains down to the sump quick. When cold the oil is thick and clings to the innards of the engine and is slow to drain down. If your engine has over 200,000km on it then I'd use a thicker oil - maybe 40/60 or 20/50 with a stabiliser in it. Lifters are a bit of a strange animal - they swim in oil and in theory they should never wear out as long as they have oil pressure, but once a tiny piece of carbon or whatever blocks the innards they seem to stay noisy. They can be taken apart and cleaned but most people seem to use new ones or reco ones (which have only been taken apart and cleaned) Thicker oil can stop lifter noise and its a lot cheaper than replacing them (which is no guaranteed fix)

MikeysVR24

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah my car has done 180,000. yeah the guy at auto barn told me when i was servcing it that a thicker oil will quiten them but won't stop them from making the noise. nah i'm not checking the oil when it is hot. do any of you guys know where are some places that i can call, to get them to check out my lifters and see how much it will cost to fix?
i live in south australia