Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Not another fukn battery question….

ZX14RVFSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SS
Just wondering if battery monitoring systems on lithium car batts have progressed to where we can now consider using ?

On my zx14 - the lead acid was 6.2kg and the lithium was 600 grams…I thought at the time, whSt have I done, but the CCA spins up the high comp motor better than any lead acid ever did - AND it simply doesn’t lose charge whilst sitting….

So apart from the bulldust cost, are there any reasons we can’t use a lithium battery ?

Cheers.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
images.jpeg

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
On my zx14 - the lead acid was 6.2kg and the lithium was 600 grams
The heavier the battery is in the LHR of a VF, the better the cross-weights offsetting driver weight for the car to behave the same on both RH and LH corners. A big heavy battery in a VF, is good for handling potential.

These are a ripper battery for the VF, readily available, great cranking power, long lasting, perfect!

113112.jpg

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
So apart from the bulldust cost, are there any reasons we can’t use a lithium battery ?

Because it’s worse for the environment! Lithium batteries are almost never recycled and go into general landfill whereas lead acid batteries have a well established recycling industry and nearly the entire thing is recycled.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Just wondering if battery monitoring systems on lithium car batts have progressed to where we can now consider using ?

On my zx14 - the lead acid was 6.2kg and the lithium was 600 grams…I thought at the time, whSt have I done, but the CCA spins up the high comp motor better than any lead acid ever did - AND it simply doesn’t lose charge whilst sitting….

Cheers.
3 times I tried a lithium on my ZX12R.. all died in less than 12 months
the first time, the bike shop couldn't get warranty from the battery supplier so FU! so i went to a battery shop
and got one. They replaced that when it died and then gave me a normal usual lead acid FOC when that died

I tried lithium in the race car.. big time advertised 'special racing battery! Cost an arm and a leg but yeah
should be good , cranking amps etc. all for 'racing' Naah ....dead under 2 years

Got a 4 yo OPTIMA in the race car now.. its fine

Lithium in something with wheels? ... naah

Last edited:

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I tried lithium in the race car.. big time advertised 'special racing battery! Cost an arm and a leg but yeah
should be good , cranking amps etc. all for 'racing' Naah ..
We've tried a lithium race car battery too with the same results, a useless, waste of money!
I prefer the big heavy battery in the LHS of the boot and makes the car corner weight a bit easier.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
3 times I tried a lithium on my ZX12R.. all died in less than 12 months
the first time, the bike shop couldn't get warranty from the battery supplier so FU! so i went to a battery shop
and got one. They replaced that when it died and then gave me a normal usual lead acid FOC when that died

should be good , cranking amps etc. all for 'racing' Naah ....dead under 20 years

Got a 4 yo OPTIMA in the race car now.. its fine

Lithium in something with wheels? ... naah
Dead under 20 years?
Do you mean 20 months?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The problem with lithium start batteries in ICE cars is that todays smart alternators assume it’s a sealed calcium lead acid battery and has a charging regime optimised for that technology.

Lithium batteries, there are a number of variances of such, just don’t play well with vehicle alternators and their smart charge algorithm.

Now if only the vehicle battery type could be specified via diag tool during its replacement and the smart alternator algorithm could then choose the appropriate strategy for the battery type that’s actually installed, a silly expensive lithium battery may last longer than a few years.