Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Not painted properly

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
Yeah Holden and ford will skimp out as much as they can on paint. Paint is expensive and the little bit they saved not spraying behind your guards will add up to allot over all the cars they make this year.

With metallic basecoat they would have a person doing the colour and the robot only doing the clearcoat. It would be very hard to teach a robot to paint metallics. So someone just got lazy or was told to save money I would say.

Craft1979

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF commodore SS ute
Alley guys spoken to Holden taking it in tomorrow have already sent them photos by email they said need to see it in person and they will get hold of factory and find out what's going on will let u all know the out come

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The car itself is painted in a different location to the skirts and bars. This issue goes back to the VE series and is still very prevelant in the VF series.

Although, OPs issue is slightly different, they never paint the ENTIRE car.

This is where the confusion can start within a thread.....The body is painted in one location and the Op is complaining about that....Not the other bolt on bits.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
With metallic basecoat they would have a person doing the colour and the robot only doing the clearcoat. It would be very hard to teach a robot to paint metallics. So someone just got lazy or was told to save money I would say.

The car goes through a big paint bath for the undercoat.....From there, the robots paint the rest of the car.....The only parts humans paint, is underneath...ie wheel arches etc etc

wazsan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V Sedan
Complain to the dealer, my new VF CalaisV sedan does not have this problem. It was painted properly.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
hi all just found when washed car that if I open the front door and look in between the door and the front guard that it is primer not paint on both sides as in drivers and passenger side not on the door trim but on the other side of the door looking forward as in the back of the front qauter panel. Can all the VF commodore owners out there have a look at yours and let me know if it is the same as mine. I'm fairly peeved at this and feel that for a 50000 dollar car that this is not good but that is just my opinion.
Cheers
All

Base coats are put on in a dip. Final colours painted robotically.
Have a look on Holden's site at video clips of a VF being put together going down the assembly line and you'll see a bare bone vehicle freshly painted. Plenty of primer coats showing.
Nothing to worry about if your concerned about corrosion as the base coats are what prevents that.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
Base coats are put on in a dip. Final colours painted robotically.
Have a look on Holden's site at video clips of a VF being put together going down the assembly line and you'll see a bare bone vehicle freshly painted. Plenty of primer coats showing.
Nothing to worry about if your concerned about corrosion as the base coats are what prevents that.

This exactly. /close thread.

OP watch the videos. And get into the 90's and download your pictures off your phone onto a pc so you can upload them normally.
If you really want accurate advice, you need to show us what the issue is. Because if its exactly as you've described and what I'm thinking, no way the robot sprayers are getting into that gap to spray the bodywork once the door parts have been joined together with the chassis.

Craft1979

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF commodore SS ute
I have spoke to Holden they are going to fix it as you can see the primer paint when the doors are open not a good look when the car is jungle green the area should have been painted before the doors were put on

sam71

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 VF SV6
Good!

I had a look at mine today and what I thought was primer was actually spongy stuff

Craft1979

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF commodore SS ute
All is good they painted in the doors and looks good