Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

NOW SOLD Buying a WH

Sledge

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 WH Statesman
So i got someone to do the sump gasket (engine out), and driving it home was doing 110 down the freeway and i noticed this slight tapping noise, it got louder and quite pronounced.
So i pulled over, and let it sit there, the noise got quieter, and then went away... all good..
so i continued home, and then on another stretch of road, it happened again at 90, but i kept driving, and it went away again..
Oil level SEEMS ok... Temps seem ok, no dash lights came on etc..
anyone got any ideas? Anything i should worry about?
Oil put in is 'Gulf Western premium gold 15w/40'

Wife has lost the card with the radio code on it :( - EDIT: Found it :)

Last edited:

BlackoutSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice LS1
Worried about? Well, concerned about yes.
Sounds like oil/lifter related.
I assume both new oil and filter fitted after the gasket swap?
Still, if they have had the pan off, and any crud has fallen into the pan and then been picked up and clogged the filter, there could be the reason for a restricted oil supply.
Maybe swap the filter again..

BTW, the oil light will come on when there is practically no oil pressure. Do use the light as a reliable guide.
The light is reliable, but only to tell you, reliably, that your engine is rooted. :p

Sledge

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 WH Statesman
haha thanks :)
Yeha no lights so ok there i guess...
Both new oil and filter were done.. Just wondering if the oil isn't good enough...
I'm sure he would have cleaned the pan and checked the pickup while he was there, but will ask today.
But the noise is intermittent i guess, though i only drove it home and that's it so far...
Will report back again tonight

BlackoutSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice LS1
That viscosity of oil wouldn't be my choice (or GM's for that matter), but I doubt it has played any part unless the volume was low causing the pump to momentarily suck air, -which generally would not illuminate the oil light.

LS oil pumps needs a lower winter grade than 15. A 5 would be better and this will also be better for cold-start oil supply to the lifters as well.
At running temp, the winter grade becomes irrelevant.

Not totally relevant here as this is a stock application, but still worth a read.. :)
GM LS Hydraulic Roller Cam Bulletin - Driven Racing Oil

Sledge

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 WH Statesman
From the handbook:
For optimum fuel economy, use 10W/30 ILSAC GF2 engine oil.
If this oil is unavailable, use SG, SH or SJ engine oil, with viscosity of 20W/50 or 15W/40.

what ever those letters mean..

But i didn't get any noises on the way home anyway.. so maybe ok.. or maybe it only presents itself after a longer drive..?
Previous oil was Penrite HPR 10W/50 .. might do another oil change and go back to that?

Edit: http://www.pqiamerica.com/apiserviceclass.htm

Last edited:

Sledge

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 WH Statesman
So i went for a run again today after work... same run as when it made noises last time... nothing... up to 110 not a worry...
So i dunno....... maybe just some air working it's way through or something from the oil pickup??

Sledge

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 WH Statesman
It looks good.
CD player might just need a reset. Reset by holding the ON button for about 10 seconds.
Getting E-99 again, reset doesn't SEEM to work this time..
Looks like there's a cd stuck in it, will pull it out and see what i can do, then reset again..

Sledge

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 WH Statesman
So the battery terminal is loose, and the car wouldn't start (worked it out and started it etc)

But afterwards, the tapping noise came back for a fair while, but next time i started the car it was gone again.
So i'm wondering if when the car loses power, maybe the ECU or something has to 'learn' how to run properly again and so causes the tapping noise..

Sledge

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 WH Statesman
Hey guys,
Anyone know what it means when these 3 lights come on while braking? Not doing anything special, just normal driving.. not on all the time, just every now and then..
beIKt0c.png

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
Ill guess that ur abs unit has kicked the bucket