Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

NRL Thread

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
So Spencer Leniu called Ezra Mam a monkey allegedly. Well it's been called a racial slur by the NRL, does that mean a white player can't call another white player whitey? or two black players can't call each other the N word?
I'm pretty sure in pop culture if two african guys call each other the N word it's perfectly acceptable. I know Spencer and Ezra are not of the eaxct same race, but would they not both be counted as black individuals?
Or do Pacific Islanders get counted as something other than black? What about Cook Islanders? which Islander does and where is the boundary of being black? or do we have to bring out the tint meter?

I think it is setting a dangerous precedent if they charge Spencer with a racial slur.
Or do they ban the word monkey from being used against anyone? I remember me and my mates would slur each other with that word non racially, why now has it become such a bad thing to say?
Or is it just if a black man gets offended that it is a slur regardless of the actual word spoken? then how black does the man have to be? again dangerous precedents are being invoked here, again do we bring out the tint meter?

Just some thoughts on the matter.

It's classed as a racial slur.....

Adam Goodes from the Sydney Swans was called a monkey by a spectator and he called them out for it...

Do a youtube search over the concenquences that occurred as a result

It's unacceptable and should be left out of any conversations period

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
It's classed as a racial slur.....

Adam Goodes from the Sydney Swans was called a monkey by a spectator and he called them out for it...

Do a youtube search over the concenquences that occurred as a result

It's unacceptable and should be left out of any conversations period

Yep, so answer this for me, if a white person called another white person a monkey, is that a racial slur?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yep, so answer this for me, if a white person called another white person a monkey, is that a racial slur?

Don't know and don't care....I have no intension of walking upto someone I don't know and refer to them in that way to find out....

They are a human being, first and foremost, unless they give some other indication they are different, like yourself

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Don't know and don't care....I have no intension of walking upto someone I don't know and refer to them in that way to find out....

They are a human being, first and foremost, unless they give some other indication they are different, like yourself

So you're so confident that a little girl calling Adam Goods a monkey is a racial slur, and you seem to be confident Spencer calling Ezra a monkey is a racial slur but you have no idea if two opposing players that are white calling one or the other a monkey is a racial slur. Okay thanks for that, I will take that to note.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
So you're so confident that a little girl calling Adam Goods a monkey is a racial slur, and you seem to be confident Spencer calling Ezra a monkey is a racial slur but you have no idea if two opposing players that are white calling one or the other a monkey is a racial slur. Okay thanks for that, I will take that to note.

Calling someone a monkey is a racial slur....PLAIN AND SIMPLE

Give a rats on their skin colour...IT'S A RACIAL SLUR

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Calling someone a monkey is a racial slur....PLAIN AND SIMPLE

Give a rats on their skin colour...IT'S A RACIAL SLUR

So you are saying if a white man calls another white man a monkey, can I get this straight, that is a racial slur? I can't see any other logic ther from what you're saying.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
So you are saying if a white man calls another white man a monkey, can I get this straight, that is a racial slur? I can't see any other logic ther from what you're saying.

A white person calling a white person a monkey is racial slur

A white person calling a black person a monkey is a racial slur

A black person calling a white person a monkey is a racial slur

A black person calling a black person a monkey is a racial slur

It's not a gender based thing either, hence the use of the word "person"

Any clearer for you or not?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
A white person calling a white person a monkey is racial slur

A white person calling a black person a monkey is a racial slur

A black person calling a white person a monkey is a racial slur

A black person calling a black person a monkey is a racial slur

It's not a gender based thing either, hence the use of the word "person"

Any clearer for you or not?

Okay, so can you please point out the racial aspect of a white person calling another person a monkey.

http://www.norvillerogers.com/why-its-racist-calling-black-people-monkeys/

This article clearly states that white European people calling black people monkeys is a pseudo-science based racial slur.
Basically it was saying they were superior to black people.

But I fail to see how, say two London born men calling one another a monkey has any racism about it.

Maybe if a London born man called an Irish man a monkey, I could see that as racism.

But in the first example Spencer, a new Zealand born Somaon player, which means either one or two of his parents are Somaon. Calls Ezra Mam, a man of Aboriginal and Torres Strait parents a Monkey.
Is this a display of Somaon superiority? As opposed to white superiority?

And on the other hand would an Aboriginal player that called a Samoan player a coconut, would that be a racial slur?
Or is it just monkey?
But monkey can be used as an affectionate term, refer link.
https://www.dictionary.com/e/words-that-are-bad-in-some-contexts/

So wouldn't the context of the term monkey be taken into consideration?

I cannot see how a Samoan guy calling an Aboriginal guy a monkey as being intentionally a racist slur.

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
Human = Human race.
Monkey = Simian race.
Monkeys are of simpler or lesser intellect, therefore calling a human a monkey is a denigratory racial slur.
Get it Bubbles?

UP THE WAHS!

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo