Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

NSW COMMODORE "BOOSTN" running 7 seconds 1/4 mile

VL_5SPEED

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 Holden VL calais project
Lol getting upset are we minux.
Here is a full write up from calaisturbo.com.au - Powered by vBulletin

boostn_burnout.jpg

Jim originally bought his VL as a bare shell, and thanks to a mate who smashed his car received an AVO kit to enter itself into the modified VLT scene.

boostn%20before.jpg

Color.JPG

Jim quickly gave it a fresh coat of paint in heritage green along an Aero Body kit and interior re-trim.

side.jpg

old%20int%20boostn.jpg

Where most of us would be happy with it looking this good and going well, Jim couldn’t help himself.

finisned%20first.jpg

Thanks to his AVO kit stuffing up, and although Jim then hated it, later on he would quote that event as being “were it all started!”.
It was quickly sent over to his mate Dominic Rigoli.

The new set-up consisted of a Turbonetics T66 turbo bolted to a RB25 Twin Cam head with forged pistons, an Custom exhaust manifold, MSD ignition all being cooled down by a Micks Metalcraft Intercooler and a 3” exhaust. All this was managed through a Microtech MT-12.

vlenginebay3.jpg

All this pumped out a very healthy 425hp (317kW), and was put to the ground via a 2 speed power glide with a TCE converter and a shortened Ford 9” (who said ford weren’t good for something) and all pushed out the back via a 3” exhaust.

rigoli_VL_hi.jpg

With it’s still new setup he managed to pull out a 10.2@131. Good enough to earn it a spot in the top 10 Street Commodores 2000.

boostnburnout.jpg

Jims%20Pics%20045.jpg

But again Jim wanted more… Shortly after getting his 10.2 he sold of the long motor and started again…
Heading back to Tony Rigoli Performance (TRP) they worked on the new setup to get BOOSTN moving faster…
BOOSTN_enginebay.jpg

Jims%20Pics%20046.jpg

IMAG0197.JPG

It’s new setup consists of a RB26/30 combo with a Garrett GT47 and Innovative 51mm wastegate. Inside the motor are TRP billet rods, forged pistons, copper head gasket, head studs, Innovative 51mm wastegate. It has a Microtech X6 ignition system and again all controlled and tuned through a Microtech LT-12s and a Turbosmart eBoost 2 controler.
It still uses the same setup up to get the power to the ground (2 speed power glide with a TCE converter and a shortened Ford 9”).
But has an 3.5” to help get rid of the increased power of 680hp. A considerable increase over the last motor.
With this, Jim went down to the track and managed to shock a few people with a 9.3@147 later on going and dropping that even further with a [email protected]

Jims%20Pics%20024.jpg

Since then Jim and the boys and TRP have been working further on the car and have recently managed to squeeze 779hp out of the same setup and plan to drop the time even further.

Boostn%20779HP.JPG

heathcote_060625_071b.jpg

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Oh its auto, nevermind.

I only take notice of manual drag cars. Pretty sure Ben Bray still holds the record for fastest manual car.

VL_5SPEED

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 Holden VL calais project

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
I was sure Bray was into the 8's

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
I was sure Bray was into the 8's

Is NOHOPE a manual or auto? The Bresciani VL........... that was in the 8's too. Can't remember whether it was a manual or auto though.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
Its a nice car but these cars kinda bore me at the drags id much rather watch a doorslammer run 5 sec down the track now thats impressive ;)

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Especially in Victoria, VL's have been bloody done to death. Same as VN's. Sick of the sight of them. But we don't have heaps with Aero kit's on them. I love VL Aero kits, they look slick as hell.

But at Calder Park etc, VL get boring to watch. 90% of them are turbo'd. I'd prefer the V8 VL's, but it almost seems weird having a V8 in a VL now because they have such a turbo rep (on the street). You rarely see VL SS's etc, as opposed to VL turbos.

cano1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS stateo 5ltr
Is NOHOPE a manual or auto? The Bresciani VL........... that was in the 8's too. Can't remember whether it was a manual or auto though.

[PANNIC] has a powerglide in it, he done that 8sec pass 4yrs ago and others just started to catching up recently.

well done to trp, the owner of boostn for being the first vl into the 7sec barrier.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
Especially in Victoria, VL's have been bloody done to death. Same as VN's. Sick of the sight of them. But we don't have heaps with Aero kit's on them. I love VL Aero kits, they look slick as hell.

But at Calder Park etc, VL get boring to watch. 90% of them are turbo'd. I'd prefer the V8 VL's, but it almost seems weird having a V8 in a VL now because they have such a turbo rep (on the street). You rarely see VL SS's etc, as opposed to VL turbos.

went to the gazzanats at calder this weekend. dont think i saw a single VL turbo there. was great!