Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Number Plate bracket for bar Lights.

wobbles123

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6 Auto Ute, 2013 VF SV6 Auto Sedan.
Has anyone fitted a Number Plate Bracket to the front of a VF Commodore SV6 for a bar light installation without removing the front fascia panel and is the front plastic facia panel capable of carrying the extra 2.5kgs for a bar light without destroying the plastic panel and vibration on a corrugated road.
I see where somebody installed a bar light behind the facia panel but incurred removal of the grill which I do not wish to do.
Any comments appreciated and/or if anyone has installed the above with success? with pictures?

Last edited:

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
Good question!

I'm very interested in this as well.

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
I'm so interested I actually went and had a look.

Armed with a torch, by looking down past the top cover that sits between the radiator and grill I can see where the number plate screws penetrate the front bar.

It'll be a simple matter to attach the number plate bracket with nuts and bolts with a washer or plate on the inside of the front bar.

If I'm going to do it, it will have to be soon as we're off Fri week for a few weeks on the road.

I'll have to decide whether I want to punch a couple of holes in my carbra to make it work. I guess I'll also have to find/make a suitable hole in the firewall for the switch wiring.

If I do it, I'll post a couple of pics up but it's not a difficult job at all.

wobbles123

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm so interested I actually went and had a look.

Armed with a torch, by looking down past the top cover that sits between the radiator and grill I can see where the number plate screws penetrate the front bar.

It'll be a simple matter to attach the number plate bracket with nuts and bolts with a washer or plate on the inside of the front bar.

If I'm going to do it, it will have to be soon as we're off Fri week for a few weeks on the road.

I'll have to decide whether I want to punch a couple of holes in my carbra to make it work. I guess I'll also have to find/make a suitable hole in the firewall for the switch wiring.

If I do it, I'll post a couple of pics up but it's not a difficult job at all.

wobbles123

Reaction score
Members Ride
I understand what you saying.....but the screws are still only hanging on to the plastic fascia....if you want to fasten the bolts to the steel bar behind the foam you will need to use self tapping bolts about 2" to 3" long ( you would understand the Imperial System being a mature person like me ) and I am not inclined to drill a larger hole in the plastic....you can drill into the steel bar...as the air bag deployment activators are each side of the top of the radiator in the engine bay not in the steel bar....if that is any help.

You can take the top cover off with a Phillip's head screw driver and torx remover....gives you a little more clearance to put your hand down behind the fascia.

I was thinking of a piece of flat aluminium support behind the plastic to attach the bolts to....that being about 8" long with pre-drilled holes to suit number plate....I do not have a car bra....and the other problem it is a slightly concave fascia.

The light I was going to attach weight's about 2.5Kgs....although I have not purchased as yet.

gucci

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
I've got this light bar mount fitted to my SSVR. It was made by Total 4x4 in Bayswater, WA. I believe they're a custom made item. Exactly the same unit as fitted to WA Police fleet Commodores with LED light bars. I tried to get the best photos I could given it was night time. The bracket fits between the slots in the front bumper and secured to the aluminium bar. There is also a bracket the goes from the bottom of the bracket behind the number plate to support the weight on light bar. It's all really secure and takes the weight of Vision X unit easily with no noticeable movement. Fitted it cost about $120-.

Attachments

• IMG_0026.JPG
    IMG_0026.JPG
    248.6 KB · Views: 731
  • IMG_0025.JPG
    IMG_0025.JPG
    236.9 KB · Views: 787
  • IMG_0027.JPG
    IMG_0027.JPG
    274 KB · Views: 639
  • IMG_0030.JPG
    IMG_0030.JPG
    202 KB · Views: 655

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
I've got this light bar mount fitted to my SSVR.

I have a Calais so I'm not sure if the grills line up with what you've got there. In any case I won't have time to get your setup organised before we go.

You might be able to help with the firewall access point for the switch wiring though?

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
I was thinking of a piece of flat aluminium support behind the plastic to attach the bolts to....that being about 8" long with pre-drilled holes to suit number plate....I do not have a car bra....and the other problem it is a slightly concave fascia.

I'll remove the cover tomorrow to have a closer look but I'd be quite happy with two bolts and nyloc nuts tightened onto a plate on the inside of the front bar.

The light bar is only going to be there for our trips away (3 per year) so I'll probably leave the existing number plate self tapper screws for when the light bar is off the car and drill a couple of bigger holes for the light bar bolts (hidden by the number plate).

In all probability I'll talk about it long enough so it won't actually get done :(

wobbles123

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've got this light bar mount fitted to my SSVR. It was made by Total 4x4 in Bayswater, WA. I believe they're a custom made item. Exactly the same unit as fitted to WA Police fleet Commodores with LED light bars. I tried to get the best photos I could given it was night time. The bracket fits between the slots in the front bumper and secured to the aluminium bar. There is also a bracket the goes from the bottom of the bracket behind the number plate to support the weight on light bar. It's all really secure and takes the weight of Vision X unit easily with no noticeable movement. Fitted it cost about $120-.

wobbles123

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the thumbs up....this is what I envisaged that it had to be attached to the aluminium bar behind the grill.
Is there 2 supports from each end of the bracket back to the bar?
My vf sv6 does not have the egg crate grill as on the later models only the rectangular slots as it was the first cab off the rank. Oct 2013 build.
I get the idea with the pictures you have shown....great!
Did it require the grill to be removed....as it is a mind field to remove with all the tabs etc?
However I emailed the company in WA to see if it was a one off job for you only...or whether it is general purpose item seeing you say it is attached to police cars in WA the same as we have in NSW.
I would imagine it would be only attached to the plastic grill as the red and blue lights would not be a weight factor as the bar light would weigh approx. 2.5 to 3.5Kgs and would have to more securely attached.
Anyway thanks for the info...it is food for thought...will let you know the outcome from WA.
" Poor old dad " interesting concept that " Gucci " has come up with....will let you both know when WA has the goods.
The other concept is how they screwed it to the bar as there is limited room even with the plastic cover over the top of grill removed....again did they remove the grill????