Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Number Plate bracket for bar Lights.

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
The other concept is how they screwed it to the bar as there is limited room even with the plastic cover over the top of grill removed....again did they remove the grill????

Had a decent look around today.

I don't know about other grills, etc, but on mine there is enough room between the support bars (under the cover) to access where I'll need to.

I also removed the two push pins (or whatever Holden calls them) which enables the grill to flex a bit, so even more room to work.

With the bit firmly between my teeth I headed off this morning to have a look at light bars, mountings, etc.

Short of it is that I bought a Narva Explora bar plus the number plate mounting kit.

Probably most of what's available out there will work (perhaps with some modification) but the Narva setup will obviously work easily and as my time is short, that is the go.

I'll get at it over the weekend and post a few pics for those interested.

gucci

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
wobbles123 (and others) - So the bracket from Total 4x4 is manufactured by them for the WA Police fleet. Others may make something different or similar, but they were the only ones I found in WA that supply a VF specific light bar bracket. The only piece removed from the car to fit the bracket was the black bit that sits over the radiator/bonnet catch area. Once that's off, there was heaps of room to screw the bracket to the aluminum bar. There was no other cutting or removal of anything else. The bracket itself has about 3 different folds in it so it fits perfectly through the bumper slots and rest neatly on top of the aluminum bar. I kinda wished I photographed before it was fitted now ...

wobbles123

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6 Auto Ute, 2013 VF SV6 Auto Sedan.
wobbles123 (and others) - So the bracket from Total 4x4 is manufactured by them for the WA Police fleet. Others may make something different or similar, but they were the only ones I found in WA that supply a VF specific light bar bracket. The only piece removed from the car to fit the bracket was the black bit that sits over the radiator/bonnet catch area. Once that's off, there was heaps of room to screw the bracket to the aluminum bar. There was no other cutting or removal of anything else. The bracket itself has about 3 different folds in it so it fits perfectly through the bumper slots and rest neatly on top of the aluminum bar. I kinda wished I photographed before it was fitted now ...
Thanks for that....no problem with the 3 folds...I understand fully and the removal of the black shroud on top.
I emailed 4x4 WA via there web site on Thursday....nothing heard back as yet.....but I suppose like all emails these days they are destined to the round paper filling bin.
I rang Stedie lighting about a light bar for info.....could not get beyond the "ball of fluff" on the land line to talk to a technician....she knew bugger all about what I wanted.....this happens all to much these days with employing some person that knows nothing about the product the company sells and is the front line on the counter.....rant rant !@#$%^&*

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
I got most of the wiring done today.

Didn't take pics as my sil was helping me and we only had a couple of hours before going out to bday party..

He had a wiring kit from a replacement set of lights on his 4WD. I didn't even know such a thing existed (the wiring kit not the 4WD).

Makes life much easier.

I'll continue the install tomorrow but I'll consider it temporary for the upcoming trip.

For me, the light bar at number plate level is far too low.

Having now had a good look at what might be done, I plan to fabricate a mount out of 2 x 5mm alum flat bar (as posts) with a welded or bolted horizontal arm that pokes through the grill at centre headlight level (or thereabouts). The light bar will be mounted between the posts/horizontal arms.

I'll take some pics of that completed exercise if it turns out ok.

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
I put a curved, dual colour (white and orange - for fog) dual row light bar behind the grill and bolted up under the aluminium crash bar. Stops it being stolen and it's always ready to go. Getting the front bar off completely took about 30 mins as I didn't know what I was doing. Now it would take longer to get the car on jack stands than to remove the front bar. But ramps would do the job just as well.

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
I put a curved, dual colour (white and orange - for fog) dual row light bar behind the grill and bolted up under the aluminium crash bar.

That might work on mine - maybe enough room inbetween the top of the bar and the Lion badge (edit: Doh! Senior's moment - won't work with carbra)

Does it cast shadows being behind the grill?

How do you clean the lens?

edit: should mention that I have mine up and running. Attached the mounting plate temporarily with a couple of self tappers and some mounting tape (I need to have carbra on to install more securely).

Definitely a worthwhile addition for driving in rural/country areas at night.

Last edited:

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
I assume there are shadows being cast but because the light source is not one single point, the other LEDs would mask it pretty well. It's pretty bright, but the HID high beams add more light than the light bar. The light bar fills the wide angle view better on mine. I was hoping for a little more distance, but hard to compete when the HIDs are on.

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
Yeah, distance isn't LEDs strong point.

I was looking for more light to the sides of the road (at an adequate distance) and the couple of goes I've had at mine on dark roads is very good.

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Have you changed your high beam to HID? That's better bang for your buck and amazingly bright

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
No I haven't.

I bought H9 3800K halogens from the US which I'm happy enough with.

I would probably look at HIDs but isn't there a delay when switching to high beam?