Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Nut wont tighten or loosen??

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
As the title says i was changin my bonnet struts 2day and i noticed 1 of my engine cover nuts didnt look like it was sitting right so i tried tightenin it and it wouldnt just kept turing so i tried 2 undo it but it did the same does ne1 have ne suggestion on how 2 get this off or know y its happening?

Attachments

• Image028.jpg
    Image028.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 322

bradvt98

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt executive
i'd say the thread is rooted ;)

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
im hoping it is but thing is i cant even pull it off if it is rooted its like been half undun and now it spins on the spot......... does this mean im prolly gona have 2 break my engine cover 2 just get this bastard off?

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Um no. You don't need to break the cover. It's just a wrecked thread. Use a small flat blade screwdriver to lever it as you undo it.

Looks like someone has done them up WAY too tight. They should only be done up until just firm. Probably around 10-12 Nm which is not much.

Edit: If you undo the nut and the thread comes out with it too, you can get a replacement from Holden. Can't remember whether or not the thread is locked into the manifold or if it is just a tight thread etc...

Last edited:

VTS07

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VT S series II
um yeah I broke the thread on mine today it snapped in two now my engine cover is only held on by three nuts. Dunno how im gonna replace that thread now...

sand_man

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 SIII Monaro CV8
lol my engine cover is only held on by 2 nuts but that's because i'm an idiot and i lose things :bang:

VTS07

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VT S series II
lol at least u didn't break the thread just buy 2 nuts from holden probably like 1.50 each

Troy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Auto 128rwkw, VZ V6 Lumina wagon stock
The bolts that hold the engine cover on are not "bolts" as such. They are a stud with a spline on the under side instead of a hex-head which locate in the plenum chamber lid (Take the cover off if you can, put a nut back on, tap down on the nut gently with a hammer and the "stud" should come out trough the bottom).

The bolt has the male spline, the plenum has the female spline.

It's possible that this part in the plenum cover has stripped seeing as how it's aluminium and thus your nut keeps spinning, but it could be the thread on the engine cover bolt as previously stated.

:thumbsup:

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
thanx guys yer the thread doesnt spin just the nut i tried the flat head screw driver trick but she wouldnt budge i actually started 2 chip off a bit of the engine cover so i stopped n now thinkin i may have 2 try hammer the nut/thread with a bolster or somthing and hopfully snap the nut off with the thread.

r holden the only ppl that have these theads or can i get some from somewhere else other than a wreckers which might b my cheapest option?

VTS07

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VT S series II
is the plenum cover easy to take off?

sorry to hijack this thread