Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

O ring seal for coolant pipe in belt tensioner assembly.

commodoredave

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
Tried to replace the rubber o ring seal with an off the shelf repco generic seal(slightly thicker seal and different quality of rubber)
but it would not seat fully in place. Only a few mm out but it was enough to cause coolant leaks.
Tried to get the o ring that fully meets commodore spec at Repco and they claim it is only available if purchased with the entire tensioner assembly.
The photo shows the specified o-ring on the right.
Has anyone bought the correct o-ring. Does it have a particular name just so next time I go into an auto shop get more than blank stares.

Resized_20230627_113547_8947 image of tensioner coolant thru pipe.jpeg

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Tried to replace the rubber o ring seal with an off the shelf repco generic seal(slightly thicker seal and different quality of rubber)
but it would not seat fully in place. Only a few mm out but it was enough to cause coolant leaks.
Tried to get the o ring that fully meets commodore spec at Repco and they claim it is only available if purchased with the entire tensioner assembly.
The photo shows the specified o-ring on the right.
Has anyone bought the correct o-ring. Does it have a particular name just so next time I go into an auto shop get more than blank stares.

View attachment 253619
I go to a bearing supplier, they have a good selection of orings & gaskets, tools.
Take the tube & the orings you have & ask for something in between. Grab a few. There cheap enough.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Hahahaha, yeah it's a common problem. The one Repco has listed is the same one Burson and 10 other shops have listed as well. Yet the damn thing is too small. Happened to me a few years ago. I went to a bearing shop and bought two or three at 50c each and used the one that was the best fit.

Reactions: Lex

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I got mine through a Holden dealer some years ago . If I remember correctly it was orange coloured and had a sort of square shaped profile.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I got mine through a Holden dealer some years ago . If I remember correctly it was orange coloured and had a sort of square shaped profile.
Yes, a few years ago, l got a quote & they wanted something like $20.00 each or the pair, l forget? Nope!

Grimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Series II Ute
They’re $20 for a pair on ebay and they’re the correct spec. I’ve been buying them from there since Holden closed down which is three different engines.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
They’re $20 for a pair on ebay and they’re the correct spec. I’ve been buying them from there since Holden closed down which is three different engines.
Far out, bastards know how to charge. :oops:

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
The rubber must be worth about 10 thousand bucks a kilo! Must be using some serious space shuttle grade $#!T!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The rubber must be worth about 10 thousand bucks a kilo! Must be using some serious space shuttle grade $#!T!
You could buy seven different sizes to make sure you have the right one and still save $16 by going to a bearing supplies.