Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

O2 sensor plug conversions

Mandah

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve omega
Hi questions regarding whether these ideas might work
I have had a engine swap my original 2006 Leo engine had and required a 5 possibly 6 wire precat sensors (the possible 6 is due to conflicting information in the same part number having both varieties, Bosch au website shows matching part number as a 5 wire, local shop selling same Bosch part has 6 wires trying to confirm correct wire amount) Holden pn 920688286 Bosch pn ls17123
The new engine required a 4 wire sensor. Holden pn 920688636 Bosch pn ls10047
Holden has confirmed they are different sensors ie part numbers I know which two are the matching ones trying to work out exactly which of the two the car needs/wants.
I am waiting for my dad to help confirm whether I currently have 4 or 5 wire and whether it is narrow or wide.

I am trying to find out if for example my engine harness needs a narrowband plug and my car computers need the wideband 5/6 wire plug am I able to re pin/splice/pair the 5/6 onto a narrowband plug and will it work?
Or is there a converter adapter type plug that will enable the two to mate without wiring changes?
And would any of that actually work? at the moment I’m working on possibles I’ve not found any yes or no’s it will or won’t work.

Another question is if for example my rears are wide and my fronts are narrow am I able to change them using extensions for the fronts to reach further back and would they still function or are the wires only meant to work in a certain position?
Not sure if this makes a difference to positioning but my car is a sedan the engine came from a Ute this was only just found out after comparing things with Holden.
Any help advice or suggestions is appreciated and thank you

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
More than 4 wires are wideband sensors and are in the front locations

Mandah

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve omega
More than 4 wires are wideband sensors and are in the front locations

Thanks for your reply
I am aware that more then 4 wires will only be a wideband sensor.
I am trying to find out (please note I have yet to confirm which way it is ie: if I have narrow and require wide or vice versa) if my car requires a 5 wire which will be a wideband if I can repin a 4 wire narrow plug to attach the 5 wire sensor, as my harness requires a narrowband due to the engine replacement and different harnesses,
My computers need a different sensor to what my engine is accepting if that makes sense that’s the best way I can describe what I mean, the plugs don’t match so my computer will not use the current sensors it thinks they are the wrong ones.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
If the wiring is different then you probably can't use your computer do you have your old wiring

Mandah

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve omega
If the wiring is different then you probably can't use your computer do you have your old wiring

No I was advised the original harness was cut up after removal, my original harness would not of worked with the current engine according to Holden as there was slight differences between the two harnesses they stated they couldn’t tell me the differences but I’m guessing the o2 sensors plugs are definitely one of those differences.