Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

OBD Readers

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
imho the VXDiag VCX Nano is more trouble, and troublesome, than it’s worth. It seems that a Windows update or an update of any other dependencies can causes issues so it’s going to be an endless case of chasing a workaround to get it to work.

However, I do like the workaround that one member came up with… @RevNev posted a good solution in post #200…

I bought a VXDiag Nano a while back and couldn't get it to work, spent hours messing around with it and no joy, then ended up buying the GM (Bosch) one and fixed the problem.

View attachment 226043

Mickcc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais 2016 Series 2
@Mickcc if you connect the Nano only to the pc via usb and launch VXManager and GDS2 on the pc, what do you get?

To install the application and have it licensed, you have to do specific things and not choose the VxDiag Nano within the application (if I remember correctly).

One owner in the US did the following:

Set up VXDIAG VCX NANO GM on Windows 10 Pro 2.0 Port​

Here’s the VXDIAG VCX NANO GM GDS2/Tech2Win working experience on Surface Pro (Windows 10) tablet:

“I tried on three of my Surface Pro 2017 models (Windows 10 Pro) Everything would work except the Tech 2 software. CANDI not connected. Not matter what I tried. When launching Tech2 the popup to choose connection to the MDI wasn’t appearing. I looked everywhere for the usb drivers with no luck.

After messing around a couple days with it, I got it to work with another laptop running Windows 10 Pro.

I think the problem is that the Surface Pro runs a usb 3.0 port and the other laptop has a 2.0 port. So if you only have a 3.0 port you may run into issues. A possible workaround would be a usb port splitter that supports usb 2.0. I haven’t tried this because I didn’t have one on hand.

The winning combination for me was:
1. USB 2.0 port on pc
2. Windows 10 Pro
3. Latest version of VX Manager from vxdiagshop I think it was 1.6xxx
4. Latest downloads for the GD2 folder & tech 2 folder from vxdiagshop.com
5. Didn’t use anything from the CD in the box
6. When installing Vx Manager I did tick the boxes for pass-through and GDS2 / Tech2Win and SPS.
7. Installed all three software programs
8. Plug in the module to the pc (doesn’t need to be connected to car)
9. Run VX Manager and the module should show up. Update firmware on module itself.
10. Hit the automotive tab on the left and verify pass-through and GD2/Tech2 (and SPS if you need it) have green checks on them. If not double click to open them and install / update if necessary.
11. Leave the VX Manager running – minimize it if you want to.
12. Double click shortcut on desktop to launch Tech2Win
13. Choose North America
14. Choose MDI interface – not MDI2
15. Next dialog box pick the only choice there is to choose from.
16. Tech2 should run fine. Splash screen on startup will show

Have you done something similar during install and does your device and app see a valid license?
Thanks for you reply Skylarking
If I run VX Manager i get the Licenses to 2030
and Nano Serial as been added
1/ PASSTHRU
2/ PDU
3/GMGDS
4/GMT2WIN

Then Run GDS
comes up with no valid lease
I will try again thanks Mate
@Mickcc if you connect the Nano only to the pc via usb and launch VXManager and GDS2 on the pc, what do you get?

To install the application and have it licensed, you have to do specific things and not choose the VxDiag Nano within the application (if I remember correctly).

Here’s the VXDIAG VCX NANO GM GDS2/Tech2Win working experience on Surface Pro (Windows 10) tablet:

“I tried on three of my Surface Pro 2017 models (Windows 10 Pro) Everything would work except the Tech 2 software. CANDI not connected. Not matter what I tried. When launching Tech2 the popup to choose connection to the MDI wasn’t appearing. I looked everywhere for the usb drivers with no luck.

After messing around a couple days with it, I got it to work with another laptop running Windows 10 Pro.

I think the problem is that the Surface Pro runs a usb 3.0 port and the other laptop has a 2.0 port. So if you only have a 3.0 port you may run into issues. A possible workaround would be a usb port splitter that supports usb 2.0. I haven’t tried this because I didn’t have one on hand.

1. USB 2.0 port on pc
2. Windows 10 Pro
6. When installing Vx Manager I did tick the boxes for pass-through and GDS2 / Tech2Win and SPS.
9. Run VX Manager and the module should show up. Update firmware on module itself.
10. Hit the automotive tab on the left and verify pass-through and GD2/Tech2 (and SPS if you need it) have green checks on them. If not double click to open them and install / update if necessary.
13. Choose North America

The above doesn’t identify version of visual c++ redistributable or framework or other potential steps but it’s a start…

Have you done something similar during install and does your device and app see a valid license?

imho the VXDiag VCX Nano is more trouble, and troublesome, than it’s worth. It seems that a Windows update or an update of any other dependencies can causes issues so it’s going to be an endless case of chasing a workaround to get it to work.

However, I do like the workaround that one member came up with… @RevNev posted a good solution in post #200…
Cheers Chrisp

I did get to see that and many others paid thousands and in US Dollars
It is a Head F**K alright
i think your right windows does an update
and it all over rover.
Bugger

Mickcc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais 2016 Series 2

1. USB 2.0 port on pc
2. Windows 10 Pro
13. Choose North America

Thanks for you reply Skylarking
If I run VX Manager i get the Licenses to 2030
and Nano Serial as been added
1/ PASSTHRU
2/ PDU
3/GMGDS
4/GMT2WIN

Then Run GDS

1. USB 2.0 port on pc
2. Windows 10 Pro
13. Choose North America

The above doesn’t identify version of visual c++ redistributable or framework or other potential steps but it’s a start…

Mickcc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais 2016 Series 2
Well Skylarking
did all this again twice today
there be something in the GDS2 program that gives you the lease to use it
were i don`t know
because if you run Techline it looks for that lease to be able to to
go online and then register your subscription

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Well Skylarking
did all this again twice today
there be something in the GDS2 program that gives you the lease to use it
were i don`t know
because if you run Techline it looks for that lease to be able to to
go online and then register your subscription
I’m not clear if it (GDS2) is working again…

Supposedly you don’t run GM’s version of GDS2 executable directly as you won’t have the required licence hack. Instead, you run the VXDiag version of the GDS2 executable which calls up GM’s executable and modifies it in memory so it has the desired license hack. In the same context you choose MDI2 and not VXDiag device within GDS2 software while also having previously installed passthrough and GDS2 device drivers… That way GM’s diagnostics software thinks it is working with a genuine MDI2 with a valid licence that otherwise costs buckets…

Unfortunately the Win10 antivirus will flag the VX version of the GDS2 executable as a virus and quarantine it so you need to add an exception for that executable to be allowed to run and not be removed automagically…

Such issues and the installation process is discussed here.

How and whether the VXDiag executable handles the license hack when using Techline Connect I’m not sure. Others have got it to work but it’s not so intuitive with the undescriptive “unexpected error“ being common.

The solution is discussed here.

And then there is the issue of purchasing a 2 year license to program a VIN which can also be fraught with issues as GM makes error messages less than self explanatory. Whether buy8mg from Holden or GM making a difference isn’t clear to me.

One day I’ll buy a VXDiag nano and no doubt have some fun going through the install process but @ $240 it ain't a high priority atm cause I have no huge need to service the vehicle myself given it’s still under warranty… But I should have bought it when it was below $180 aud…

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca

You need to run gds2 from the hack exe and do not update gds2 if it offers updates.

If you have updated it you need to reinstall it using the installer that comes with the nano

Mickcc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais 2016 Series 2
You need to run gds2 from the hack exe and do not update gds2 if it offers updates.

If you have updated it you need to reinstall it using the installer that comes with the nano
Cheers stooge been trying to get this up and running on 2 PC`s same results no lease
will tried out the software that comes with the package with the Nano a USB is included
so I will try that

Mickcc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais 2016 Series 2

You little Beauty DONE IT

will let you know in order
used all software on the USB

how I did it OMG its a big head F**k alright
need a week off after all this Computing
thanks stooge and Skylarking and many others Cheers