Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ODD issue with AC switch i think?

thekow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX s2
Ok guys , my car just just started to do some wierd things with the AC
If i turn it on auto it just stays on 0 fan blades and stays on setting 0 (not getting faster than auto adjusting the blowers or recirc flaps). So i try it manually and 0-4 fanblades is the same. Once i hit high then the speed changes . The AC works , its cold but it seems the speed of the blower doesn't work . 0-4 the same , high = normal .

Anything i should do or check , it's just a little annoying right now.

tri501

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore S1
mate sounds like the fan resistor is cactus mate. it is located behind the glovebox and held in with 2 screws and a connector for the wires. the fan works on high because high speed goes through a relay and not the resistor. only a 10 minute job to replace but wouldn't know how much the part is. let us know how you go.:thumbsup:

PRH

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp s utility,and a KENWORTH
G'Day
If its a climate control i dont think it will be that simple,more likely a fan speed module,but sure as to where to find it on a VX though.
Regards Phillip :wax:

thekow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX s2
Any guides on pulling that section of the car out?

tri501

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore S1
you will first have to remove the glovebox, then the side plastic vent beware of the screws inside the vents, you then need to just take all the screws out around the edge of the glovebox inside top and the large plastic panel will come out. you should then see the air con, heater assembly. right where the small metal bar for the glovebox support ran you should see a plug and a small plastic thing about the size of a matchbox. that is the resistor or fan module. both should be in the same place.

thekow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX s2
Is it white and have like a 4-8 pin plug on it ? Or am i looking at the wrong thing?

Last edited:

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I've never actually seen one but I'm sure that is it.

thekow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX s2
I went to the wreckers looked at a commo with the dash removed , i am not sure what thing i am looking at to replace. Is it this thing?
Weird thing it start working again the other day , then died again today . Now on high it goes , then after like 2 mins . It stops , waits 3 seconds then starts again.

plug.jpg

tri501

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore S1
mate you are looking directly at it in your last picture. could have a broken wire inside? older ones used to not sure about vt can't remember the last time i saw mine. it still works on high speed because it goes straight through a relay and not the resistor. hope this helps.