Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Odd WH Statesman VIN?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
I wonder why they'd give the S/C 3.8 (S or R) and the 3.8 (H or A)???
What was the difference (if any) between them?

WHCapriceHBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX
I'm not sure on that actually. That info is from 2001 series 1 paperwork that came in the leather folder thing with my car.
I doubt there would be a difference between H or A 3.8L V6, maybe it was purely a numbering sequence thing from the factory.

*****FOLLOWING INFO NOT HOLDEN RELATED-EXAMPLE ONLY****

I also play with Chryslers myself, and that manufacturer used 1 = low compression, 2 = standard performance, 3 = High Performance, 4 = Premium Performance (RT, Pacer, etc)
If you were unlucky enough to find a maltese cross on your Hemi engine number, it meant the factory stuffed up the machining and one of your mains was oversize, or a lifter bore was machined wrong, or cam journal was oversize, etc. Can't quite remember, but thats an example of a manufacturer coding a "We made a mistake, engine builder beware" :p

So it could signify some small production difference like that. But its not compression as the S or R supercharged V6 code rules that out. All Supercharged L67 V6's had the same low compression and different pistons to the NA V6's. It may be something else minor.

PB1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hilux
Thanks everyone for your help with this. Much appreciated and glad nothing 'odd' about this car. You might see it in the classifieds soon (RWC pending).

Cheers,
Paul

gm1961

Reaction score
Hi All

very strange, i have a 2001 statesman , bought brand new at my work for the owner , i have has it since 2005

VIN 6H8WHY19R1L729XXX DELIVERED 19/12/2001 BUILT ??? I NEED TO CHECK

but it is a 3.8SC

regards
george

BlackoutSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice LS1
That's correct. Look at that vehicle's owner's manual or page #10 of this thread. :)
The year and engine codes in the VIN changed slightly in 2001.

WHCapriceHBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX
Hi George, I know you well from Moparmarket!!

Anyways, nothing too odd about your Statesman:

6H8 = World Manufacturer Identifier- Holden.
WH = Model Code
Y = Degree of luxury- Y= Statesman
19 = Body style- Sedan
R = Engine option. R = Supercharged V6
1 = 2001 year

L729XXXX = sequential production number, or Holden tag number.

Nothing stands out as different or obviously odd with that car. It would be a 2001 supercharged V6 auto Statesman according to the VIN you supplied :)

The build date is not decipherable from the VIN alone.

gm1961

Reaction score
Hi All

cool , i keep the same user id everywhere on forums

The original info states that the S = 3.8SC , but my car is defiantly R , both on the owners book, rego paper and the cars plate , and i know the car from brand new when it was ordered and delivered

The build date is 5/2001 , which is strange because it was ordered just after july / august and my boss was "impatient" and it eventually turned up just in time for his xmas holidays

I remember he paid almost 5k on top for the leather , it was that or sat nav, a big deal in 2001 , i said go the V8 , he said not , but supercharge is cool

regards
george