Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ohm'age Question

Gobbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim Series II
As the Topic says....the amp or rather monoblock im looking at is one of the alpine ones and it says that it will put at 150W-RMS at 4 ohms and 300W-RMS at 2Ohms

obviously i want 300W RMS so how do i get my system running at 2Ohms....i know Ohms is the Impedence but thats about it...also just so you know i havent got the gear yet im just wondering how i get it at 2 ohms for when i get it all together next month
Cheers
Kurt.

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
it depends on the speakers. the speaker resistance will be printed on them, and you also have to use the right speaker wire.

DJ Majah

Electro doof doof styleé
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII cruiser
Just make sure that everything you buy, including the cables is rated at 2 ohms

Gobbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim Series II
yeah i was gonna do that anyway DJ Majah but when i was reading up on it i read something like "ive got my system set up for 2 Ohms and that made me think i had to do something special least i know now thanks for that

PIMPIN

The Lurker
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais 3.8 WHII Statesman LS1
what those guys ^^^ said
Also with the sub to run at 2 ohms - either get a 2ohm single voice coil sub or get a 4 ohm double voice coil sub and run them in parallel, that'll give you a 2 ohm load
What amp and sub you thinkin of getting?

Gobbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim Series II
getting 2 x 12 inch Alpine type R's which are rated at 300W RMS each and 1 maybe 2 Alpine MRD-M500 Monoblock(s) to power the subs with something else running my front stage and 6x9's or maybe 6inch splits for the rears.

PIMPIN

The Lurker
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais 3.8 WHII Statesman LS1
Sounds good mate!

I'd go the 6 inch splits instead of the 6x9s...the bass from them will be useless and might make ur system sound worse in my opinion
Can't wait to see it

Gobbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim Series II
yep im thinking of the splits for the rear only problem is that i already cut holes in my parcel shelf for my existing 6x9's so it would look a bit tacky :S....any ideas on how i can hide the big holes?

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
gobbles, and guy's
quick leson on what a few audio things mean

if you are looking at getting a sub, or speaker's or anything, and it gives you a watt rms, what it means is power root mean squared, it's the adverage of what the speaker will actualy usfully use, i.e. gobbles is looking at getting a 300wrms amp, it's actualy putting out 520w true power, how ever, the adverage is only 300w that the speaker can use, all to do with the signwave of the audio signal

what they are saying, is by adjusting the value of resistance or impedance, they are actualy chaging the way the signwave is being put out, to get max out of a amp alway's play with resistance of cables, speaker's themselfs dont have much restance in them

here is a good thing to try guy's,
to get the true power ratting of a amp, speaker or sterio, use the following

grab the rms value and go like this, ill use kurts as a example
300 devided .637 will give you the true power ratting 0f the speaker's, kurts give out 470.95w