Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil Change for a VE 6.0L

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
Shout yourself and oil sucker vacuum pump thingy - its the best investment in DIY car care and it takes the oil out through the dipstick with no fuss bother or ramps. Perfect!

yeah, i bought one havn't used it yet , but have a oil change coming up in spring. will do a vid.

that sideways oil bolt is a pain on the LS1's are they the same on the 6.0's?
there's few vids on them

Last edited by a moderator:

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
that video looks painful....

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Shout yourself and oil sucker vacuum pump thingy - its the best investment in DIY car care and it takes the oil out through the dipstick with no fuss bother or ramps. Perfect!

But you still have the oil filter to replace, and surely the sucker isn't going to drain as much old oil as pulling the plug will, but I can appreciate the attraction of no ramps and less mess using the sucker though. The sports Commodores are a pain to get on ramps, but I figure if get you say a 50mm x 200mm sleeper and cut it up that should be easier to get it on the ramps without scraping the front spoiler going up the ramps.

S.D.M.F

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport R8
Anyone who struggles with a basic oil change, really shouldn't be trying to do anything on their car.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
That suction thingy seems like so much more effort than it needs to be. I mean seriously I can get my quite low ute on to a set of jack stands in under 5 minutes, that includes a low set of ramps a trolley jack and jack stands. Undo the plug and let it be for a bit to drain. Simple stuff really, slowest thing is that I need a bigger funnel for refilling.

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
Anyone who struggles with a basic oil change, really shouldn't be trying to do anything on their car.

I agree and have done oil changes in the street with the car over a gutter,

but as they say' if you find a better way , do it'

will do a vid with a couple car mates and will rate it on the piss take scale and whether i hear a 'that's a good idea' ;)

anyway originally bought the oil sucker to drain the water out of our tractor tyres, so to replace tubes and it worked well on that.

gunsmoke

Gunsmoke
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS & VZ Exec

True , but this is a forum for information sharing right ??

gunsmoke

Gunsmoke
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS & VZ Exec
I agree and have done oil changes in the street with the car over a gutter,

but as they say' if you find a better way , do it'

will do a vid with a couple car mates and will rate it on the piss take scale and whether i hear a 'that's a good idea' ;)

anyway originally bought the oil sucker to drain the water out of our tractor tyres, so to replace tubes and it worked well on that.

Oil changes over a gutter......or into the gutter.....no wonder my drinking water tastes funny. !!

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
a very large tub with oil deflector.... :)
as when you take the sump plug out, oil will be squirting all over your LH front wheel and chassis
if you don't have something to stop that

As the oil is likely to be hot - to facilitate efficient draining - or it should be, just let the sump plug drop into the container and 'fish it out' as you empty oil in to suitable container for recycling/disposal.