Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil change using left over oil.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
One oil manufacturers help line I called stated to me that oil has a shelf life of 5 years. When pushed as to why, he told me it was related to issues with additives but as long as it doesn't look like the oil has stratified or has sediment on the bottom, it should still be OK to use.

So, using the left over portion of an old bottle of oil shouldn't cause any issues, especially if your sensible and ensure the above and ensure the new oil bottle is from the same brand and grade as your old oil. About the only time one should be cautious is if you start mixing different brands, grades and especially different oil base stock.

I'd especially avoid mixing different oil base stocks like caster oil with synthetic oil as I've read there are issues with additive incompatibilities. In such cases you're into more complex territory and playing a chemical engineers game and I simply don't know enough to determine what the outcome would be. .

The only time i had any sort of issue was when I mixed two different left over oils (i think they were "Castrol Formula R Synthetic" and some much cheaper oil) and i got some waxing under the oil cap. Didn't wait for a problems to occur so I flushed the hot engine oil and filled up with new oil from one single bottle. That was a few decades ago and I've never had any issues since as i stuck to mixing same with same. Avoid mixing stuff from a different decade and especially different millenniums

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
i always keep the left over oil as with an 8.3L fill i have to get 2x 5L or 6L so always have few litres left over, never had any issues and bottom end bearings look fine after years of it even under boost

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
It's ridiculous to think oil goes off in six months or a year. It lasts for a year being pumped around a hot engine full of combustion products. It ain't gonna go bad any time soon sitting nice and cool on the shelf. It's like saying if you fill up at a different petrol station and mix shell with BP your engine will seize.

Mayuri Krab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV Redline, Mitsubishi 380 ES
It's ridiculous to think oil goes off in six months or a year. it lasts for a year being pumped around a hot engine full of combustion products.

Or 2 years according to BMW...

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
Thanks for the replies, very informative and helpful forum.
Ta.