Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil changes - how often

notmy SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
LC150 Prado M16 SSV
Every 15k, serious almost nothing to be gained by over changing. If our work hiluxs can survive 450k missing every second oil change and are still running fine I can't see how an LS3 will deteriorate at all with 15k changes for at least 250k.

MRT did a study and published a white paper proving oils will last well over 30k with little or no degradation in librication property, the colour changed within the first 5k but it still worked under stress.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
I hear what you say. Also consider 15K in the city where you might be averaging 30Km/h and 15K for a country based car that travels more highway Kms than city kms isn't the same. A city based car that spends a fair time with engine idling should consider lower kms. Going way back to early 70's I was a in a local car club and at monthly meetings would sometimes have a guest speaker. I recall there was a speaker from Castrol and discussing oil, he said that it isn't so much that the oil itself degrades, it's more a case of the contamination of the oil is the reason it needs frequent changing. Back then I don't recall there being any synthetic oils and 6 months 8,000 Km (5,000 miles) I think was typical recommendation. If you have an LS1 you would need just 5 litres for oil change. With 6.0 litre you have about 7.5 litres of oil, part of the 15,000 Km recommendation is based on the increased oil capacity where the turnover of your oil through the engine is less than the smaller sump engines and presumably the higher quality oil spec plays a part there as well. I don't seem to hear much about the V8's being a problem with servicing killing engines, but definitely V6's seem to be a problem with extended service intervals.

BLACK-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SS, VE SS ute 360rwkws daily VE LPG
Every 15k, serious almost nothing to be gained by over changing. If our work hiluxs can survive 450k missing every second oil change and are still running fine I can't see how an LS3 will deteriorate at all with 15k changes for at least 250k.

MRT did a study and published a white paper proving oils will last well over 30k with little or no degradation in librication property, the colour changed within the first 5k but it still worked under stress.

agreed but the issue is the oil can't clean engine out due to suspension of the black **** so build up in engine begins(big problem in the V6 alloytec).

oil change at 7500 is cheap insurance if your keeping your car.

How ya getting 450k out of hiluxs(petrol) misses runs her work fleet and moved to rangers now due to so many D4D blocked oil pickups and holed pistons(serviced every 10K) generally around the 140K>180K area.

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
Guess if I were driving a Hilux, I wouldn't bother to change its oil every 5,000 km as Toyota has 10,000 km/6 months service schedules. I don't even change the oil every 7,500 km on my daughter's Honda Jazz. Those engines aren't high performance engines, oil in them aren't subjected to high stress and excess heat.

Mavericks Choice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV M6, VF2 LS3 Calais V, VZ 6L M6 Crewie
Oil is cheap! For longevity & peace of mind for your keeper, it's very cheap insurance indeed!

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Oil is cheap! For longevity & peace of mind for your keeper, it's very cheap insurance indeed!

Exactly. DIY interim service will cost you 100 bucks. Why on earth would you not do it if you plan to keep the car for a long time..

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS

Where can we access that MRT study from ? Interested to see it

BLACK-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SS, VE SS ute 360rwkws daily VE LPG
yep
Exactly. DIY interim service will cost you 100 bucks. Why on earth would you not do it if you plan to keep the car for a long time..
, just changed the oil in my daily VE berlina V6 on gas at 7500kms, black as and always serviced 7500 runs on lpg 90% of the time and avg speed is 70km/h as mainly on the highway so not a hard life.

lmfvf2ssredlineute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf2 ssv redline lmf ute
a running engine is always wearing, a wearing engine sheds metal , more so during run in , shure the oil may still be good after 15000 k but its going to be contaminated with metal particles , i prefer to do a in between 7500k change, that way the engines got clean oil. i dont want to pump micro metal particles through my engine any longer than i have to , oil filters don't collect everything. thats the best way to keep a engine healthy.
i bet if you pulled down two ls3 engines after 400000 ks one having oil changes every 15000 ks and the other 7500 ks i know which would be in better condition

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Penrite is 35% off at Supercheap Auto...