Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil changes on cars in storage or driven rarely

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
What's our thoughts on oil change intervals on cars in storage or driven rarely? I've always changed the oil around 6 to 9 months as I start and warm my cars up at least one a month or go for a spin sometimes. You don't want sludge building up or contaminants, but I'm yet to properly establish a timeline where oil needs to be changed in these situations.

lordsnipe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV
Obtain a sample when you're changing the oil and send it in for analysis if you're worried, but unless the oil is black and thick, I highly doubt there's any sludge.

eman1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
If your cars in storage I would do maybe every 12 months, but seeing as euro cars can go up to 24 months on certain conditions I would say that 24 months wouldn’t be that bad either with good oil.

Cars sludge when doing excessive km or time running service intervals. Cars in storage wouldn’t sludge as the oil will stay golden, but may get condensation etc and oil start to slightly protect less over time.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
What's our thoughts on oil change intervals on cars in storage or driven rarely? I've always changed the oil around 6 to 9 months as I start and warm my cars up at least one a month or go for a spin sometimes. You don't want sludge building up or contaminants, but I'm yet to properly establish a timeline where oil needs to be changed in these situations.

Based on things I read, i think yearly oil change would be more than sufficient. If it was my car though, given the relatively small cost involved in this DIY, I'd just do it every 6 months...

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
It's the heat cycling & all the squishing that breaks down the oil, if it's not being used that often then it's not going to break down as quickly as a daily. Oil lasts for years in the sealed bottle, unstressed.

Honestly, while I wouldn't do it, I reckon that you could probably get away with even 3 years between full-synthetic oil-changes if the car's only being used every 3rd weekend or whatever. Almost. But then not using a car regularly does mean the oil will pick up more contaminants per-use (eg. as the oil will start to run off surfaces), so for safety's sake I'd still do it yearly.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I asked Penrite out of curiosity

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210907-093911_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210907-093911_Chrome.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 315

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
I asked Penrite out of curiosity

Interesting,i always was told it bad to just start a car,let idle,then shut down after a few minutes.
They have to be taken for a long run if in storeage for any length of time to get fluids circulating.Tyres develop flat spots if let sit for Months on end,they need to have a run.
Usual procedure for long time storeage is to disconnect Battery,drain oil and fill with new and remove wheels if possible,new uncontaminated oil sitting in a sump will last for years.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

I store a few cars and most only get kicked over every 6 months if lucky and I try to give them a bit of a run to get heat into the seals for the engine, trans and diff plus run the fluids through the brake and fuel lines, air con and coolant hoses but in reality issues always arise over time.

I’ve has problems where brakes have given up the ghost on longterm stored cars and it is one area I give a lot of attention too before driving.

I have a few cars that haven’t been started for years.

I’ve looked into oils before and heard of the 5 to 6 year shelf life rule and I see it this way, if the car has sat for a few years or more you are better off changing the oil then priming the whole system, you have to add new fuel which has a 6 week shelf life so why not new oil at the same time.

The game you’re in you would have primed many an engine to help minimise wear on initial startup.

If the car is being started each month and not driven the oil will survive and stay reasonably clean for a long time but of course you are increasing the chances of failure in many other areas of the vehicle.

If you are starting the car every month and taking it on a run for at least an hour to ensure you get heat soak thru the entire driveline then you’ll have far less if any problems and I have a couple of cars like this and I change the oil once every two years or so.

My procedure isn’t based on science just mechanical sympathy and having seen the problems some of my cars suffer due to storage.

I store the bulk of my cars at mum’s old place out where it’s hot and dry, that helps save the bodies from rust but does increase the speed in which rubber parts perish and it allows me to be able to drive the unregistered ones around the property without worrying about breaking the law.

I then have to clean up the dust, I hate stored cars but I hate selling them even more.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
If my car, or bike goes into long storage

1. Service, wash and wax car, go for a drive or leave it in the sun for a few hours to dry right out, then throw on a car/bike cover

2. Place some plywood and thick carpet under the tyres if I cannot leave it up on jack stands, chock wheels and disengage handbrake

3. Put it on trickle charger

4. Pump up my tyres up more than normal, for my cars it's usually up about 40 psi

When I'm back I do a once over on it, then crank over for a few times if the car can do a "flooded start" by keeping my foot flat on the accelerator, or, if no flooded start is available, I pull the ignition fuse and crank it over a few times till I've got oil pressure

Then do another oil change

This has worked well for me over the years when they have been left for 6 months or more

During this time the car just sits and waits for my return

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
6 monthly oil changes on a car in storage sounds like a huge waste of time and money. What are you hoping to remove by dumping the 6 month old fresh oil?
A half hour drive to warm up and circulate the oil and all other fluids is likely to give you much more benefit. I'd think condensation on internals leading to rust is the biggest worry with stored vehicles, and the best way to prevent that is by running the engine and driving the vehicle.