Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[SA] oil differences

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If I had pics of the other 2 engines youd see that the damage was very similar in all 3 cases.

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
Kia turbo + Holden badge, Chev badge in Texas
This discussion has just turned into an experience war... =/

no....this is a engineering discussion ......there is always a reason......remember the guy who knocked the lobes off his 304 a while back..............nobody is calling anybody a liar.....but some important parts of this story are still missing. Bretts car had a failure - that is fact. Why is the question.

Does anybody know of a diesel engine oil that does not have an api (or similar) rating.

I cannot think of any reciprocating diesel engine oil (so that excludes turbine oil) that would cause a catastrophic failure in one day....

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I tried to find out what diesel oil these clowns put in the VY when I first got it, and all I could find out was that they got the oil from bursons and that the oil bottle said it was diesel oil.

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
bursons do not have an oil section on their web site but.....supercheap sell 7 brands of diesel oil (31 variants of sizes and types). All of the are api c rated and jointly api s rated to some level. The api s rating is s for spark.

example sf sg sm...........f g m is the rating level (additives etc)

I highly doubt you could buy a diesel oil at the local auto store that is not rated for use in spark engines. You may make a bad viscosity choice, or rating choice but they will work.

Lets get this folklore sorted .......eh immortality :spot on:

Diesel oil does work in petrol engines.

I'm not trying to confuse anybody. But trying to simplify a statement with info that is somewhat miss-leading is wrong. That's how Internet folklore is born.

I gotta go clean ablution blocks now..........

Last edited:

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
A lot of diesel oils may very well well say that theyre rated for use in petrol engines, but it doesnt explain why all the petrol engines Ive seen, that have had it accidently put in them, all went bang straight after, plus there was no other reasonable explaination as to why these engines blew up the way they did. As I said above, its just way too much of a coincidence for me to believe its ok to use it in petrol engines.. I certainly wouldnt risk it in my cars. If it were just one engine, then Id have doubts about diesel oil causing it, but after seeing 3 of them all go in a similar way, Im fairly sure it was the diesel oil that caused it in each case.

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
no worries....speaking of coincidences this reminds me of my mother - god rest her soul. My mother never ate a piece of bread in her life. Never.

She came from a small village in which every single person that had died had at some point eaten bread. So my mother would not eat bread.

"100% of people that eat bread will die" she said. She was right.

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
no....this is a engineering discussion ......there is always a reason......remember the guy who knocked the lobes off his 304 a while back..............nobody is calling anybody a liar.....but some important parts of this story are still missing. Bretts car had a failure - that is fact. Why is the question.

Does anybody know of a diesel engine oil that does not have an api (or similar) rating.

I cannot think of any reciprocating diesel engine oil (so that excludes turbine oil) that would cause a catastrophic failure in one day....

Good point.

I'm an apprentice diesel fitter, 4th and last year now. So save to say I need to know all there is to know about lubricants. There is so much and TOO much information out there.

The only 'bad' experience I've had with diesel engine oil in a petrol engine, was a couple for years ago. I performed a filter and oil change on a 94 VR Series 2 Sedan with the V6 Buick. The engine was originally running Gulf Western 10W - 30 and I replaced it with Castrol Magnatec Diesel 15W-40. Before I change any engine oil, I always run the engine for 10 -15mins with an engine oil flush additive. Once I changed the oil, the car ran fine until the next day. The next morning when I drove to get some groceries, only a couple of KM's from my house, the engine blew 5 and 6 conrod straight out of the block. Twin Rod Exit I now call it.

Upon removing and diagnosing the blown engine, it turned out to be that the oil pickup tube was blocked up with sludge, suffocating the engine. Mind you, this engine had performed over 300'000k.

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
I am having two thoughts on this.

1) If diesel oil could be used in a petrol engine, why would they have diesel and petrol oils?

2) Maybe the VY lady over filled the engine with oil, I have heard you can break a crank shaft from over filling an engine with oil.

I have seen the sumps off a few petrol engines and they have a thick layer of crap in the bottom, maybe the detergents in diesel oil loosen up the sediment and it blocks the oil filter, opens the relief valve and lunches the engine. Only way I could seen an oil lunching an engine overnight.

My uncles Mazda 6 did 60,000K's without an oil change before self destructing because he is stupid. If the poor old mazda can do that mileage before dying then I think it is unlikely the diesel oils viscosity has anything to do with the engine failing.

Edit:
Upon removing and diagnosing the blown engine, it turned out to be that the oil pickup tube was blocked up with sludge, suffocating the engine. Mind you, this engine had performed over 300'000k.

Hmm, Makes my sediment theory more plausible now hearing that. How come you never noticed the oil pressure light?

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
I am having two thoughts on this.

1) If diesel oil could be used in a petrol engine, why would they have diesel and petrol oils?

2) Maybe the VY lady over filled the engine with oil, I have heard you can break a crank shaft from over filling an engine with oil.

I have seen the sumps off a few petrol engines and they have a thick layer of crap in the bottom, maybe the detergents in diesel oil loosen up the sediment and it blocks the oil filter, opens the relief valve and lunches the engine. Only way I could seen an oil lunching an engine overnight.

My uncles Mazda 6 did 60,000K's without an oil change before self destructing because he is stupid. If the poor old mazda can do that mileage before dying then I think it is unlikely the diesel oils viscosity has anything to do with the engine failing.

Edit:

Hmm, Makes my sediment theory more plausible now hearing that. How come you never noticed the oil pressure light?

At the time, I asked myself the same question. The oil pressure light never come on, so the engine was still making significant oil pressure enough to not switch the contact on. The oil pressure switch contact pressure is below 5psi.

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
At the time, I asked myself the same question. The oil pressure light never come on, so the engine was still making significant oil pressure enough to not switch the contact on. The oil pressure switch contact pressure is below 5psi.

:S ohh....... 5psi, geez that is miserable. What vehicle can run safely on 5psi of oil pressure? I might buy myself an oil gauge I think :)