Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[SA] oil differences

Greggles_VS

The Noob
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6 Ecotec
Is there much difference between petrol engine oil, and diesel engine oil? Cheers

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
Only the additives. More prominent in diesel engine oil, like anti-sludging, anti-oxidising, detergents etc.

Critical Jim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais, VL SL
Dont quote me but I think diesel oils have a high level of detergents to help with build up and and other additives to deal with the levels of soot diesels produce.

Greggles_VS

The Noob
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6 Ecotec
So that being the case, is diesel engine oil safe for use in a petrol 4wd?

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
There is nothing wrong with running diesel engine oil in a petrol engine. You just can't use petrol engine oil in a diesel engine.

If you're going ahead with the engine oil change, I'd run with an engine oil flush for 10-15mins first, then drop it. New filter, new oil.. BAM! Good as new.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Some diesel oils are not compatible with a petrol engine as the previous ower of the VY wagon I now own found out. They filled it with diesel oil after changing the oil and the then perfectly running engine, (ecotec), self destructed a day later. I bought it cheap and fitted another engine. It made a huge mess of the old engine, snapped conrods off the crank and smashed pistons etc..

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
I find it hard to believe that using diesel oil would blow your engine. If you have a look at most oils these days, they are fairly universal for all engine applications.
Any oil is better than no oil. Harley tell in their handbooks to use diesel oil if no proper oil available.( no jokes please :boxing:)

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Some diesel oils are not compatible with a petrol engine as the previous ower of the VY wagon I now own found out. They filled it with diesel oil after changing the oil and the then perfectly running engine, (ecotec), self destructed a day later. I bought it cheap and fitted another engine. It made a huge mess of the old engine, snapped conrods off the crank and smashed pistons etc..

Interesting conclusion. We use diesel oil in every new engine we build at work (even new crate engines) because diesel oils aren't friction modified and we have it on tap. Some people say you shouldn't do it, but it's served us well and we've never had a drama with any of the engines we've built. So, i fail to see how it could damage an already running engine...

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
So, i fail to see how it could damage an already running engine...

Maybe they thought they could mang harder with diesel oil and that blew it?

Just remember, all car related disasters start by someone saying "watch this"