Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil Grade preferences for your LS3

Suami

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
It doesn't hurt to add some perspective to a comment you made that doesn't make sense right across the automotive world.

'scored and damaged' maybe the case for some poorly build GM engines but it's not necessarily the case for other manufacturer's that have no trouble building in reliability.

'Aussie conditions' as if Australia as a country has a monopoly on bad roads and a hot arid climate and some of the worse urban streets I've ever driven on are in New York.

The Euros are a long way from being perfect but my Merc's and BMW's have outlasted my Commodore's while my brand new VF2 rattled its way out of the dealership from day one.

If I ever have to give up my cars the late model Commodores would be the first to go.

Some of my Euros are built with true passion and that alone makes them great to have around.

What doesn’t make sense about damaging your vehicle on cold start. “Scored and damaged” were not my words.
Yes; Aus has one of the harshest climates; not talking about road quality here; temp and the overall climate.
New York roads; WTF sort of comparison to Aus conditions is that ? Cold as hell over there; your Euro buzz boxes would and should do well over there.
Look at this way; in ten years when your Beamer or whichever Euro junk box you decide to drive is selling in the market for under $10k; ( because no one with any common sense won’t touch them second hand) I will be happily watching many claw to get their hands on my second hand Redline.....

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
What doesn’t make sense about damaging your vehicle on cold start. “Scored and damaged” were not my words.
Yes; Aus has one of the harshest climates; not talking about road quality here; temp and the overall climate.
New York roads; WTF sort of comparison to Aus conditions is that ? Cold as hell over there; your Euro buzz boxes would and should do well over there.
Look at this way; in ten years when your Beamer or whichever Euro junk box you decide to drive is selling in the market for under $10k; ( because no one with any common sense won’t touch them second hand) I will be happily watching many claw to get their hands on my second hand Redline.....

Low viscosity pumps the oil up quick on a cold start when the engine is most vulnerable to damage, so why thicken the oil unnecessarily other than to quieten it down.

My comparison of New York streets is simple, a lot of Euro are sold there and they stand up well on those very poor roads, as I said some of the worst suburban streets I've ever encountered. Rural roads here are also bad but there are many counties in the world that suffer the same affliction, South Africa to name one.

I've lost count of how many Holdens I've seen with cracked dashboards and chalked paint over the years so don't tell me they hold up better in our heat than any other brand.

How a car holds up to the harness of the Australian environment depends on how well the owner cares for it.

You know more than me about how a Euro compares to a Commodore so I'll concede all those points to you.

If I'm still on this planet in ten years time I'll still be driving a new Euro but you won't be driving a new Commodore.

Aussie buyers voted with their wallets a long time ago and the bulk of them didn't see a Commodore as better value or more reliable than an import.

Suami

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Low viscosity pumps the oil up quick on a cold start when the engine is most vulnerable to damage, so why thicken the oil unnecessarily other than to quieten it down.

My comparison of New York streets is simple, a lot of Euro are sold there and they stand up well on those very poor roads, as I said some of the worst suburban streets I've ever encountered. Rural roads here are also bad but there are many counties in the world that suffer the same affliction, South Africa to name one.

I've lost count of how many Holdens I've seen with cracked dashboards and chalked paint over the years so don't tell me they hold up better in our heat than any other brand.

How a car holds up to the harness of the Australian environment depends on how well the owner cares for it.

You know more than me about how a Euro compares to a Commodore so I'll concede all those points to you.

If I'm still on this planet in ten years time I'll still be driving a new Euro but you won't be driving a new Commodore.

Aussie buyers voted with their wallets a long time ago and the bulk of them didn't see a Commodore as better value or more reliable than an import.

Not going to debate road quality with you; same around the world....very poor. Apart from some Euro countries where their govts actually care...
Euros in Aus will and do suffer the same paint affliction you mentioned; (lead removal from paint has not seen a substitute to date that won’t deteriorate quicker over time)....
As for not buying a commy in ten years; your correct....but s.h.i.t it will be fun to watch all us rev heads driving the prices north as the next generation wishes Holden never closed....
Audi techtronic Transmissions wetting their pants at60k on the clock at a 10k fix price ? Beamers and Mercs with interior “wood” panels lifting away from the interior due to heat ? Not to mention the electrical issues they encounter and the wait from Germany for an answer; then the cost....the list goes on; you enjoy those Euros and the price tag attached to maintaining one...it’s all yours brother.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
In the US, we have some nasty and extreme temperature places.

Never tried but I heard people talking of using Shell Rotella, the one for Diesel engines, on Gasoline motors. Some that has to do with some additives like Zinc. Apparently helps to prevent friction and wear. Also heard, those Additives contamiante the Cathalitic Converter and that is why are not used on Gassers.

Personaly, I have no experience on using it, so no comment on that, just passing what others said.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... you enjoy those Euros and the price tag attached to maintaining one...it’s all yours brother.
Well, now that Holden is kaput , spare parts price strategy will be revised and parts for your home grown Holdens will become as expensive to buy as the Euros parts...

We’ve already seen it in Holden’s spare parts price creep over the last year (brake bolt prices is one example mentioned on the forum) and it will only get worse... It will be more so if a 3rd party buys the parts supply and support business...

Keeping Euros and Holdens will over time become cost comparable o_O

eman1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
Well, now that Holden is kaput , spare parts price strategy will be revised and parts for your home grown Holdens will become as expensive to buy as the Euros parts...

We’ve already seen it in Holden’s spare parts price creep over the last year (brake bolt prices is one example mentioned on the forum) and it will only get worse... It will be more so if a 3rd party buys the parts supply and support business...

Keeping Euros and Holdens will over time become cost comparable o_O
I'd have to disagree on that, if you compare similar performance and aged Euro models the costs are significantly higher for the Euro parts.

With the drive train parts shared with the 5th gen camaro and how many VF were sold there won't be much trouble finding parts.

I recently bought oil filters direct from AC delco in USA for $3.97 each instead of $29.50 locally.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'd have to disagree on that, if you compare similar performance and aged Euro models the costs are significantly higher for the Euro parts.

With the drive train parts shared with the 5th gen camaro and how many VF were sold there won't be much trouble finding parts.

I recently bought oil filters direct from AC delco in USA for $3.97 each instead of $29.50 locally.
Comparing Euro parts prices with the as yet uninflated Holden parts prices is missing the point I was making. Prices through the official aussie parts supplier, who ever that may be, will become more expensive than what’s the case today. They will approach Euro parts prices via the official aussie channels.

Obviously, today you can buy parts directly from US but that could change. I guess future OS parts availability could depend on what contract arrangements may be made with whomever buys the parts business downunder. We already know what GM thinks of our market (not much) so who knows what draconian agreements they will make w.r.t. OS parts supply/restriction to us living down under. We could find ourselves excluded from easily accessing US parts at reasonable prices.

But time will tell as it always does ;)

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
We already know what GM thinks of our market (not much) so who knows what draconian agreements they will make w.r.t.

That is GM, what the US Gov think is very highly of all of you as War partners and future weapon sales. Who needs oil when all will be driving eco cars ;)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
That is GM, what the US Gov think is very highly of all of you as War partners and future weapon sales...
Hah, so we’re the first wave war fodder for their industrial machine :rolleyes:

Righto, charge the hill, over the crest...... S H I T . . . . . . o_O

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
With the sh¡t show in China and the supply chain disrupted, parts will be somewhat hard to come by. Right now is not a big deal while invetories last. I say, baby your ride for now.