Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil in radiator???

Tiger28

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Exec
Hi people I have what look's to be oil in the radiator mixed with the coolant which forms a brown colour.It's not the head gasket did a check and not drinking oil and did a pressure cooling test and all is fine. Temperature sit's on normal.Somebody told me could be transmissin fluid as it passes through the radiator.I dont know if he was talking about the trans cooler etc,but he said a part in the radiator is gone so need a reco radiator.He also said it is common on Vy model.Thoughts ???.

Jacko84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina soon to be 5L
yep more common on the ford ba, a radiator has a trans cooler inside it if your lucky you will just have oil in your water, replace radiator with a stainless steel core, and all will be good, but if you have water in ur trans ur up for a full rebuild and a new radiator clutches and bands dont like getting water in them, as do ur needle roller bearings.

so i suggest you check ur trans oil, or if your not sure take it to a trans shop maybe get a trans service and go from there, but as said above you may be lucky and only have oil in your water.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
I had this problem with my VY. It turned out the inlet manifold bolts had come loose on the cylinder heads. I tightened them up and it's all good for now, just a bit of residual oil but that can be removed over a few days.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Also the silly pellets they put in can cause a 'brown sludge' to form. I would do a full cooling system flush before spending any more dollars than just buying new coolant.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
The pellets (finely ground walnut shells?) holden advise adding to the coolant do make it go a brownish green colour. Some commodore owners also mistake it for rust in the system.

Tiger28

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Exec
Thanks for the reply guys.I did a trans service not so long ago and all is fine they said.I have flushed it twice with new coolant and same crap appears so I dont think it's the pellets. How does the trans cooler leak?So what would a new radiator cost me fitted?Thanks

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
The pellets (finely ground walnut shells?) holden advise adding to the coolant do make it go a brownish green colour. Some commodore owners also mistake it for rust in the system.

Yep and I have never and will never use 'em.

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
You have side tanks on ur radiator that ur trans cooling lines will go into,my guess is that ur seal or core has broken, rusted through, causing trans fluid in the radiator and through ur cooling system, I recently did 2 radiators on a VX commodore, take about an hour including a coolant flush and can be done on the floor, quiet easy for a DIY, and eBay radiators in ur state, ring them n pick it up, should coast u bout 120. Shoot me up if ur keen to no more on DIY

Jacko84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina soon to be 5L
Replace the radiator is a diy job. Just make sure u bleed the system afterwards and have something to block the cooler lines with when u disconnect them. You will lose sum trans fluid

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using Tapatalk

Tiger28

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Exec
You have side tanks on ur radiator that ur trans cooling lines will go into,my guess is that ur seal or core has broken, rusted through, causing trans fluid in the radiator and through ur cooling system, I recently did 2 radiators on a VX commodore, take about an hour including a coolant flush and can be done on the floor, quiet easy for a DIY, and eBay radiators in ur state, ring them n pick it up, should coast u bout 120. Shoot me up if ur keen to no more on DIY

Thanks for the replys im in victoria in the western suburbs.