Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil in the water

Benzo_133

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz executive
G'day, I've had my 2004 vz alloytec for a few months now, I bought it cheap as **** cause of the timing chain rattle it had and still has cause I haven't got around to it. Anyway it drives fine, doesn't over heat seems to have plenty of power but I've noticed the coolant overflow reservoir has oil mixed in with the water but the actual coolant in the radiator and engine are clean? Any ideas why the overflow tank is full of sludge but the radiator isn't?
Thanks

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
G'day, I've had my 2004 vz alloytec for a few months now, I bought it cheap as **** cause of the timing chain rattle it had and still has cause I haven't got around to it. Anyway it drives fine, doesn't over heat seems to have plenty of power but I've noticed the coolant overflow reservoir has oil mixed in with the water but the actual coolant in the radiator and engine are clean? Any ideas why the overflow tank is full of sludge but the radiator isn't?
Thanks
Well oil does float to the top so it would make logical sense that it would mostly end up in the overflow tank.

The coolant that is purged from the radiator to the overflow tank comes from the top of the radiator but the coolant that is sucked back into the radiator from the overflow tank gets sucked from the bottom of the overflow tank. Thus the oil only has a one way trip to the overflow tank.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Off the top of my head,
I can think of 3 items that could cause this,
1) Timing case not sealed correctly around/near the water pump area, faulty gasket maybe,
2) The coolant bottle has never cleaned ?
3)Head Gasket/s maybe

Benzo_133

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz executive
Off the top of my head,
I can think of 3 items that could cause this,
1) Timing case not sealed correctly around/near the water pump area, faulty gasket maybe,
2) The coolant bottle has never cleaned ?
3)Head Gasket/s maybe
I have pulled off the plastic overflow reservoir once a couple of months ago and washed it out properly as it was full of oily sluge. Seemed to stay clean for a few days then go Bak to crap. It doesn't seem to loose any coolant from the engine either so don't think it's a head gasket, could possibly be the timing case like U said. By the condition of the car I'd say it's been flogged it's while life and barely serviced

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
At the moment it looks like oil is getting into the coolant and hopefully it’s a one way thing as coolant in the oil can be very bad… for the engine or the auto transmission (if it’s trans fluid that’s leaking into the coolant).

It’s probably something you want to check and correct sooner rather than later, that is before some catastrophic failure occurs and the car is junked (from overheating and latte being vomited from the seals of your engine… don’t ask) …

I‘d go the following route
  • Stop driving it
  • Check your trans fluid for contamination by draining the fluid into pan and looking for that latte look… if it’s clean red fluid pour it back in (yuck) with extra points if you drop the pan, change the filter and flush your auto transmission (obviously ignore such if you have a manual)
  • Check your engine oil by draining it into a container and looking for that latte look.. if it’s clean fresh looking oil pour it back in but extra points if you change the oil filter and pour in new fresh oil
  • Check the LIM bolts as I’ve read that the bolts can loosen and/or the gaskets can fail allowing oil into coolant, coolant into oil… extra points if you remove the LIM and replace the gasket…
  • Check the engine for any external oil leaks, if it’s pissing from everywhere, we’ll fix those leaks.
  • Consider dropping the timing cover and looking at the condition of the front of the engine and the chains since you know they are sloppy. Extra points for replacing the chains, tensioners, gaskets, etc…
  • Check the water pump with extra points if you remove and replace using a new gasket.
  • If all seems ok with the above, id flush the system using a coolant flush and then pressure test the system (hot and cold) and check for leaks… bonus points for fixing them :p
Hopefully by doing the above, you’ll find the offending part and avoid a big failure in the future…

Last edited:

Benzo_133

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz executive
At the moment it looks like oil is getting into the coolant and hopefully it’s a one way thing as coolant in the oil can be very bad… for the engine or the auto transmission (if it’s trans fluid that’s leaking into the coolant).

It’s probably something you want to check and correct sooner rather than later, that is before some catastrophic failure occurs and the car is junked (from overheating and latte being vomited from the seals of your engine… don’t ask) …

I‘d go the following route
  • Stop driving it
  • Check your trans fluid for contamination by draining the fluid into pan and looking for that latte look… if it’s clean red fluid pour it back in (yuck) with extra points if you drop the pan, change the filter and flush your auto transmission (obviously ignore such if you have a manual)
  • Check your engine oil by draining it into a container and looking for that latte look.. if it’s clean fresh looking oil pour it back in but extra points if you change the oil filter and pour in new fresh oil
  • Check the LIM bolts as I’ve read that the bolts can loosen and/or the gaskets can fail allowing oil into coolant, coolant into oil… extra points if you remove the LIM and replace the gasket…
  • Check the engine for any external oil leaks, if it’s pissing from everywhere, we’ll fix those leaks.
  • Consider dropping the timing cover and looking at the condition of the front of the engine and the chains since you know they are sloppy. Extra points for replacing the chains, tensioners, gaskets, etc…
  • Check the water pump with extra points if you remove and replace using a new gasket.
  • If all seems ok with the above, id flush the system using a coolant flush and then pressure test the system (hot and cold) and check for leaks… bonus points for fixing them :p
Hopefully by doing the above, you’ll find the offending part and avoid a big failure in the future…
Thanks for the reply mate I think it's probably best I park it up and go through all the things it might be.. I know the auto trans oil is nice and clean and never drops off the full mark but the engine does need a but of oil every now and then.. not much but. Cause I only paid 700 for it with 6 months rego I in struggling to find the motivation to spend just that on the timing chain kit itself yet alone the labour cost plus the other mountain of **** that could be wrong with her.. I do love the old girl but lol

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, park it and cancel rego and get 4 month back, maybe $250. That would make the car a great buy at only $450, something easily spent at a wrecking yard of just a few bits and pieces.

Please don’t part her out, spend the time to fix things properly, yourself, and return her to the road in her full as new glory :cool:

Benzo_133

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz executive
Yeah, park it and cancel rego and get 4 month back, maybe $250. That would make the car a great buy at only $450, something easily spent at a wrecking yard of just a few bits and pieces.

Please don’t part her out, spend the time to fix things properly, yourself, and return her to the road in her full as new glory :cool:
To be honest I'm not in the financial and professional position to even park her up and bring it back to life.. moved here from Tassie with my partner and kids for a fresh start in VIC and the rental that we had organised fell through so had hit the old duck up for the spare room for a few months till we find other one, the Commodore is our only car atm so it's Guna have to show some heart and determination and be the school pick up, drop off, shopping runs and everything in-between runner till I'm in a better place.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Good luck with it all :)