Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

!!!!!???oil light???!!!!

R

Ryzza75

ok an update... I've discovered the ticking gets louder and louder... but then if i turn the car off and leave it for a few seconds and restart it... the ticking stops the light goes off and the car seems fine... to the effect of about 15 mins later its back in the same position.

Wondering if there's any VS Guru's out there that may know if turning off the car resets something cause turning the car off seems to stop it temporarily.

thanks

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
First thing I'd do is find a mate who has an oil gauge he can screw into where the oil pressure switch is to accurately determine if there is no oil pressure when the ticking occurs. The ticking may be the oil pressure relief valve somehow sticking and allowing the oil pressure to drop to zero - this may cause a bigend or tappet to rattle or tick or it may be the actual relief valve ticking but this would have to be pretty unusual. If it was the oil pressure relief valve sticking, it would probably reseat itself when you switched the engine off. How many Ks on the motor and how long since an oil change?
Good Luck.

R

Ryzza75

cheers

The car has done 205,000 on the clock. The car has had a service within the last 4 months however it has been sitting in my garage for a while. I didn start it regularly but in the last month before i started driving it i left it for close to a month before starting it again.

Thats exactly what happens, it takes its time but one it start ticking it gets louder and louder but the car still seems to be idling fine. the ticking gets faster and slower depending on the rev's of the engine, (if that determines anymore) Its quite scary hearing it tick so loud. I'm not very mechanically minded but i will get a mate to do a pressure test and will report back soon. Any other ideas will be appreciated.