Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

!!!!!???oil light???!!!!

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
If its coming on consistently only when you brake and the oil is full (this is usually caused by low oil level since braking takes the oil away from the pickup in the sump ) you need to probably change the switch first and if it still happens connect a gauge to the sender hole and try to bring it on when you are driving. Sometimes the relief valve in the pump can stick also causing this or a broken pick up pipe sucking air when the level drops under brakes....a clogged one would cause it to happen at other times so I don't think it could be that.

Clacker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
CHANDLC said:
went to repco the other day and it only cost me $15.70 for another oil switch

How easy/hard is it to replace?

Clacks

5600RPM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8
If I break hard my oil light flickers on and off...My assumption is that its the oil moving away from the sensor, as its basic physics.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
5600RPM said:
If I break hard my oil light flickers on and off...My assumption is that its the oil moving away from the sensor, as its basic physics.
Basic physics in this case means that when you brake hard, oil in your sump will move towards the front of the sump...which is where the oil pickup, oilpump and oil pressure sensor are all located. If anything, there should be less chance of oil starvation under severe braking. As Markover has mentioned, faults such as this point to a suspect oil pressure sensor. This is a lot cheaper and simpler than pulling the sump.

5600RPM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8
hako said:
Basic physics in this case means that when you brake hard, oil in your sump will move towards the front of the sump...which is where the oil pickup, oilpump and oil pressure sensor are all located. If anything, there should be less chance of oil starvation under severe braking. As Markover has mentioned, faults such as this point to a suspect oil pressure sensor. This is a lot cheaper and simpler than pulling the sump.

Fair enough. I ahve very little knowledge of the locations of these sensors, parts, ect... Im not exactly mechanically minded. I just assumed that it was at the back, as it provided a logical explanation to the problem.

Either way, you recon i should check out the oil pressure sensor, eh?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Replacing the oil pressure sensor would make good sense - though first I'd remove the connector and make sure it is making good contact....maybe under braking the wiring/connector moves and breaks contact causing the oil light to come on. Always go for the simpler options first.
Most cars do have the oil-pickup at the rear of the sump and can have problems with oil surge however not the Commodore V6.

R

Ryzza75

Hey!

Sorry to bring this topic back up again but I was just reading through, and I have the same problem again... however I noticed the light only comes on when I hear this weird ticking noise from the engine... is that related and could define exactly what my prob is...? I am assuming low pressure though because sometimes when i accelerate the light goes off but i dont want to seize my engine :cry:

I will do all the check listed above. Hopefully its something minor but its the ticking noise that worries me.

thankyou for any help in advance