Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 Oil pressure issues

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
ok good to know. will take it for another drive tonight. yeah i think the lifter noise on startup is there. dont think i did the oil pickup gasket, as i havent removed the sump. i drove it for 2x 20 minute trips last night, each with the light coming on after 10 minutes or so.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
as above, if the sender is cheap its worth replacing to be sure. But what you really need to do is get a cabin oil pressure gauge so you can see whats going on while your driving. Chances are its a faulty gauge like in previous post the engine would be seized or tapping its head off if the oil pressure was gone.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah i reckon sender. probably done 80km of driving with it doing this when its warm and no issues. i cant work out how to get the old sender off though. what size spanner do i need? or should i use some other kind of tool. its in a real annoying spot

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
hmm late pumps must be different then. the only thing i can get a spanner onto is the big metal part of the sender, which seems to be around 26mm , and it looks like its made of weak metal because there isnt much of a hex shape to it.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
its easier with the alternator out stocky :) easy job with a shifter its alloy and doesnt round very easy cos it shouldnt be mega tight :p

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
still having troubles
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...tion/118294-removing-oil-pressure-sensor.html

cant get the damn sensor out to check, and the light is coming on randomly. usually wont come on when cold, but noticed today it came on almost straight away. then during the same drive, was sitting at the lights with it on, started to drive off, and it went away around 2k rpm, but came back on about 10 seconds later. its been driving with no real issue. would it still be the sensor (i probably got a fair bit of coolant/water onto it when removing the hose many times), or might i have buggered the sump/timing cover seal?

FusionX

Reaction score
For removing it, just use vice grips. Yeah it might take a bit of metal off the edges but does no great harm to the sensor.

Oil pressure sensors seem to die frequently, I had 2 go in the space of 12 months. Best way to manage oil pressure is with a proper guage as by the time the oil pressure light has come on if there is an issue, you have already lost pressure.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah i plan on getting a few gauges once i find somewhere decent to put them. am planning on putting oil pressure, vacuum and possibly afr or fuel pressure below the headunit. problem is finding some nice looking black ones that arent autometer and cost $200 each

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
am planning on putting vacuum below the headunit. problem is finding some nice looking black ones that arent autometer and cost $200 each

oooh, my advice is that if you are gonna use the vac guage for more than just looks you need to spend the bucks to get a good one either electric sender or just a really high quality tubed unit. i bought an ebay cheapie and it reads 4 inHG lower than it should constantly.