Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil Pressure Switch Change

mattathm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS
1, get a oil pressure switch from ebay. this guy had it teh cheapest eBay My World - costas1975
2. see what you have in the way of tools at home to undo the old sensor before you go and buy a new tool kit.
3. have a look at the wiring and connector, you will probally find its covered in engine oil. no probs, buy a can of brake clean and unleash jihard on the connector and wiring till its free of oil.
4. remove old sensor, F all oil will come out, screw in new sensor, plug in connector.
5. start engine and confirm warning message has gone out
6. have a beer.

xSV666x

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 vz sv6 ute 6sp manual
Hey guys back for more great advice :) just wondering if the OPS will make the oil light come on for about 2-3 seconds maybe, just long enough that the warning chime finishes ? I've got the P0521 code so pretty shore its the sensor. And most of all can it damage anything if i drive it?? I'm waiting on the new OPS to come should be here friday or Tuesday at the latest? Thanks in advance to any1 that can help :)

mike123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra V6
Had a look around my local Repco shop recently.

They are now carrying a custom made Repco Oil Pressure Switch Socket 25mm / 27mm with a 3/8" drive.

Part Number RST181 - price about $8.00.

Trial fitted it to my "original" oil pressure switch in the car - and it fitted. Bought one - just in case

I heard repco had them and when I couldn't find them there I bought a deep impact socket 27mm which cost $20.

shifty6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 5spd
a shifter or pair of multi-grips would have done the job.
who cares if you damage the sensor nut, its not going to affect the operation of the sensor at all and chances are you'll never have to touch the thing again anyway.

xSV666x

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 vz sv6 ute 6sp manual
Did they change the SVS warning to a CHECK OIL warning coz I know my car has oil and it has the P0521 engine fault code but everytime I drive it I get the check oil light on the screen with a little oil can ? Goes away and comes back but the engine fault code "check powertrain" stays unless I remove it with my scanner, car seems to not miss a beat at all or sound any different. Any1 else had this or no y it's coming up? Cheers guys

paddingtontv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ EXECUTIVE WAGON 06
Hi. I purchase my VZ two weeks ago 14/13 it was built 08/06 from a car yard, it was a trade in. It had the power train error displayed which they said was the O2Y sensor i said they would have to get rid of the error or reset it which they did. I purchased it with no warranty for $4500, it was ok for 3 days. I replaced the radiator and battery, but now the power train light has come back on. I have had it reset a few times at garages, but P0018 the intake crankshaft possible position and P0522 and P0521 which are Oil pressure sensor and oil sensor low voltage will come back on, which could be the timing cam which holden have estimated $3500, Anyhow do you think the problem may only be the oil sensor?? Ron

xSV666x

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 vz sv6 ute 6sp manual
Well I fitted the new Oil Pressure Sensor today ( $40 for the genuine acdelco sensor $10 for express postage witch came from vic to nsw in a day gotta love ebay "sometimes":) )and cleared the fault code with my scanner, done about 20-30ks and had no oil light warning or check powertrain and before it would come on all the time so think that should be it. Cheers guys

xSV666x

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 vz sv6 ute 6sp manual
Hi. I purchase my VZ two weeks ago 14/13 it was built 08/06 from a car yard, it was a trade in. It had the power train error displayed which they said was the O2Y sensor i said they would have to get rid of the error or reset it which they did. I purchased it with no warranty for $4500, it was ok for 3 days. I replaced the radiator and battery, but now the power train light has come back on. I have had it reset a few times at garages, but P0018 the intake crankshaft possible position and P0522 and P0521 which are Oil pressure sensor and oil sensor low voltage will come back on, which could be the timing cam which holden have estimated $3500, Anyhow do you think the problem may only be the oil sensor?? Ron
Not shore about the p0018 but the p0522-p0521 would be the OPS I'd give that ago and see wat happins it would be a cheaper fix cost me $50 for sensor and $8 for a repco 27mm OPS socket witch didn't really fit the best but worked aswell as a trusty shifter. Hope that helps

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto

As other have stated, the oil pressure sensor and oil sensor low would more than likely be caused by the oil pressure switch needing to have replaced.

I would highly recommend contacting the dealer ASAP and getting them to sort it, regardless of no warranty, there is still a 30 day statutory warranty depending on your state.

It being only 2 weeks, i wouldn't see an issue taking it back to the dealer for them to fix or pay to get fixed.

paddingtontv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ EXECUTIVE WAGON 06
I just done mine it was showing Power Train Fault the scanner showed P0521 present, low voltage on the oil sensor. I change the sensor all OK easy. Three mechanics I took it to all wanted to do the cam chain kit and had quoted between $2000 and Holden $3500. Regards Ron