Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil smell

alipete

Ban Speed Camera's
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive VY CALAIS
Hey all,
On my vy v6 Calais I'm getting an oil smell inside the cab when I pull up at stop signs also pooped the bonnet and bent over the engine and could smell when parked (hot). I changed the rocker cover gaskets but no luck and I can't see a visible leak and the engine isn't covered in oil. The car is in excellent serviceable condition with only 136k, it's not burning or using oil with no evidence in the exhaust pipe. I sprayed brake clean around the manifolds. The engine oil is clean and using Penerite 10 without issue till last week. I will check closer for a leak with a mirror tomorrow. Could it possibly be a bad pvc and how would I test that? No engine light but will plug in the scanner also tomorrow. Also no milkshake so the inlet manifold should still be ok.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
You probably have oil leaking onto your exhaust pipes. You will have to check it out from underneath the car.

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
It's easy for the rocker cover gasket to not be seated correctly when they are changed and so still leak oil. If they're leaking at the back it is hard to see the leak which will drip on to the exhaust.

Another area could be the tailshaft seal from the gearbox. The drive shaft will sling any leaking oil onto the eaxhaust.

As BlackVXGTS says, have a look from underneath.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
PCV in the inlet plenum is a likely candidate if the leak isn't obvious. It fills up with muck and as the plenum heats up it gets stinky. Driving/revving the engine chews it up. Sitting/idling it doesn't

You don't really need to test. If you've got a lot of kms and you've never touched it, it'll need some love. It's a consumable